MG Midget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MG Midget

Just something we've been working on the past 1 1/2 months. Car was put together with a tight budget. After selling parts from the previous engine swap (Turbo 1.8 Miata engine), the owner ended up with about 1k into this swap.

Picked up a couple of 3500s; one for me and one for this car.

Avoid removing LIM method of changing the cam . It now has my old turbo cam in it with Comp 26986s.

Copied the TB adapter I used on my Firebird for an LX5 TB

Wiring harness for '7727 ECM

S10 timing cover, 3.1 F-body water pump, custom alt mount with 3.1 J-body alternator

And on to the transmission. We got the bellhousing from the same car this came from.

Dual starter pocket F-body bellhousing with external slave mount shaved and holes drilled/tapped to mount the trans straight up (holes are already there but not fully drilled)

Custom front bearing retainer . Allows the use of a stock 3800 T5 HTOB. Went this way for more reliability over the aftermarket Howe bearing which seems to have a mixed reputation on the MG forum.

Fits like a glove. We made a remote bleeder line since the factory bleeder a) had to be shortened to clear the bellhousing and b) there's simply no way to access the factory bleeder once the drivetrain is installed.

As for the rest of the transmission we used a V8 T5 from an 88 Firebird and a tailhousing from a 94 S10. It was actually really easy to assemble the transmission together.

Machine shop slightly lightened and resuraced an old flywheel of mine.

Solid engine mounts and shorty headers were made by a friend of the owner for next to nothing. Turned out really nice.

Next was wiring the car

All Autometer Phantom gauges

Custom tig-welded stainless thermostat housing

Added slashcuts and O2 bungs to the headers

All new dual 2" exhaust

Custom oil filter mod to clear steering linkage haha. Oil filter relocation kit is on its way.

Figured I'd try out making my own crank sensor mount. Worked out well

Throttle cable mount for a 240sx cable. Stole the cable from one of the shells in the back haha. I was actually surprised though that the 240 cable end fit perfectly into the LX5 throttle. All we had to do was file the plastic in a couple spots since the cable itself is a little thicker.

Small car problems...

Obviously still a few things to do like paint/finish some of the brackets but this thing should be an amazing track car. It should be at a 1/4 mile track in August.

Of course what's a build thread without a video??
    Last edited by caffeine; 04-25-2014, 01:23 PM.
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Not sure what the deal is, but none of the pictures load for me in Tapatalk. Sounds like an interesting build though!

Brad
    via Moto X
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Awesome build but I see 1 major issue...

if you place the o2 after or next to the slash cuts you get a false lean condition on the o2 sensor. you need to move the o2's further up in the stream or the slashcuts further down.

I ran into this issue with my Camaro, The wideband was all over the place till I moved it further away.

good job though, looks like it's a blast to drive!
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Thanks for the insight. The slashcuts actually do protrude past the O2 sensor so I figured they would be ok. The slashcut pipe probably exits about 1/2"-1" lower than the O2 bung. Hopefully that will be ok but I guess I'll find out
        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
          Not sure what the deal is, but none of the pictures load for me in Tapatalk. Sounds like an interesting build though!

Brad
          via Moto X
          Weird... they're not showing up for me either. If I go to web view though they're there.
          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

MG Midget

Fixed the pics
            '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

That video was awesome!

Excellent project, thanks for sharing!
              sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
              - Ben

Comment

Going to be watching this one. What year is that?
                95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
                High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
                Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

68 I believe
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

That thing sounds mean, lol. I like it.

Are you running into any ignition timing issues using the damper pulley as your trigger? I would figure it would mess with timing a bit.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                    Originally posted by Jay Leno
                    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                      That thing sounds mean, lol. I like it.

Are you running into any ignition timing issues using the damper pulley as your trigger? I would figure it would mess with timing a bit.

The RWD pulley is not like the FWD pulley. The rubber mounted harmonic balancer/damper ring is behind the pulley. The pulley is bolted to teh center of it that stays in true time, if you will, with the crank itself.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
                        The RWD pulley is not like the FWD pulley. The rubber mounted harmonic balancer/damper ring is behind the pulley. The pulley is bolted to teh center of it that stays in true time, if you will, with the crank itself.
                        Ah, ok. I'm not used to the rwd style pulley, so all I know is the fwd style so yeah, I wondered. Thanks :-)

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Ya trigger wheel is working great with the notched pulley.

Initially we set the sensor quite a bit closer to the pulley, but found that the RPM signal was breaking up at about 3000. I thought, what the hell, I'll try moving it farther away. Turns out moving it further from the block (so that just the side of the magnet was close to the pulley) solved the problem. We're now revving to 7k without any issues.
                          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Very cool build.

Wonder why some phone videos look so skinny on youtube?
                            Links:
                            WOT-Tech.com
                            FaceBook
                            Instagram

Comment

Phone orientation when recording?

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                              X