Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone swapped an LX5? (3.5L DOHC Shortstar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone swapped an LX5? (3.5L DOHC Shortstar)

Just out of curiousity, I was wondering if anyone has swapped an LX5 engine into another car like an N/J/W body for example.

For those that don't remember the LX5, it was the 3.5L DOHC engine used in some Olds Intrigues and also the Olds Aurora 6 (base model). 215hp/230lb*ft

Linky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Premium_V_engine#LX5

I'd imagine this would be a largely difficult and nearly pointless swap (since any 3800 would probably be cheaper/easier for a swap), but I was just curious as to if anyone had done it.

It was a nice engine, though short lived. I wonder why GM decided against using it after they killed Olds? The LY7 (CTS engine) seems to be a better engine but seems kinda silly they'd spend all the money engineering the LX5 and then use it in two cars over a couple years and then can it.

RE: Has anyone swapped an LX5? (3.5L DOHC Shortstar)

you might get more help for this in an Olds forum, or body specific to your swap forum.
    26+6=1

Comment

we had one in an 05' moonbuggy rockcrawler that would flat scoot. buggy only weighed around 2600lbs without the tires watered up though. it's a pretty commonly used engine in our sport. i can probably name off 4 or 5 guys using one.

you can get a wiring harness and ecu from www.turnkeyenginesupply.com

it's $1200 for the harness and ecu though. we had it mated to a 904 automatic.

Comment

rickady88gt on fiero.nl has put one into his Fiero. Awesome install.

Comment

def not worth it for a w-body
          91 GTP HM-284 GONE
          96 Special Edition LQ1/4T60E GONE

98 Spawn of Satan (L67 Regal)
          87 V10 SM-465/Mild 350
          06 Cobalt SS/SC GONE

Comment

t's $1200 for the harness and ecu though. we had it mated to a 904 automatic.
            Wow, for that type of money it would be a lot cheaper to buy a prebuilt Megasquirt and harness and you'd have a lot more flexibility tuning the thing. That would be an awesome ride though. There's got to be a whole lot of weight difference between an all aluminum engine and an all iron 3800.

Comment

I am currently saving up to swap it into my fiero and will be running the megasquirt.
              Mega Squirted Fiero
              How I did it here

Comment

Working...
              X