If A Hub Bearing Fails...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If A Hub Bearing Fails...?

I notice that when I have the wheel at all turned to the right (even on a very mild highway bend) I hear a tapping sound. Only when the wheel is turned to the right, even a few degrees. It sounds very much like its coming from the front passenger corner. I figure it could be either the CV or the hub bearing. I jacked front right corner high enough for the wheel to not be in contact with the ground. I started the car, put it in 5th and let the clutch out. We all know how open ended diffs work... so just the wheel in the air was spinning. Speedo read ~40 mph. I could cut the steering wheel all the way in either direction and it did not make the sound. So I figure the CV is good and the sound must be the bearing under load. Of course when turning right, the front right wheel will be pulling away from the bearing due to the cars inertia wanting to keep going straight and the friction of the tire => its pulling away from the bearing. Assuming my logic is correct and the bearing fails could the hub pull apart and allow the wheel to basically fall off ending up in a spectacular firey crash? The sound is barely noticeable now. Another thought... could it be the brake? as in the forces applie to the wheel and rotor are causing contact with the pads at a high spot on the rotor? Its a once per revolution of the wheel kind of sound. Anyways, lets just assume its the hub bearing... its just starting to show signs of fatigue.. safe to drive for another month or so? I really dont have time to be fixing things till the semester is over.

sorry this got so long!
    1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
    1994 Corvette
    LT1/ZF6
    2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
    3.7/42RLE

Sounds like you already figured it out

However the bearing tends to hum under load possiblly even grindage sounds.

Are your inner/outer tie rods good??

How about lower ball joints???

Usually bearing don't let the wheel fall off even when they have failed to a point of automatically know it is bad.

If lower joints fail your tires can be ripped up from underneath the car and you can crash in a ball of flames or crash into someone causing them to burn into oblivion.

I am not saying that a bearing failure won't casue the axle to split it could happen if it is seriouly worn out.
    I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

it won't really fall apart, because it physically can't separate unless the end of the CV Shaft broke off...

Cliff Scott
      89 BerettaGT
      89 Volvo740
      Cliff Scott
      89 BerettaGT
      04 AleroGX

Comment

check your blinker fluid

Comment

Ok.. I'm just gonna ride it out then. I just had new tires and an alignment done a few weeks ago at a respectable place, they didnt mention worn ball joints or anything of that sort, so I can only assume they are good. I don't feel anything sloppy in the steering or odd handling either, just a very faint tapping on right turns.
          1994 Corvette
          LT1/ZF6
          2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
          3.7/42RLE

Comment

old topic... but I found the problem, at least I'm fairly certain. I noticed the tapping has been getting worse, although now I cant hear it at highway speeds. I pulled the wheel off and gave another look. This time I checked the brakes out. Sure enough the sliders appear to be frozen solid and the pads are wearing unevenly. I'm pretty sure this has to be the problem because now that I pay attention to it, when I brake the sound is gone entirely. So, when I have some time looks like I'll be replacing the calipers and pads. The rotors are fairly new so hopefully they'll be able to be cut. Luckily calipers for this thing are listed for only $14 each!
            1994 Corvette
            LT1/ZF6
            2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
            3.7/42RLE

Comment

Working...
            X