Big-Bear brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big-Bear brake upgrade

any one done this upgrade? I've been looking into it but I'm not sure if it's worth it. not only that but where do you get the new parts to do a brake job when they where out? just wondering thanks!
    2002 Pontiac GrandAm GT1
    3400 v6
    TOG headers
    RSM 62MM T-body
    FFP underdrive pulley
    GRANATELLI MAF
    Ported upper intake
    MSD DIS 4 ignition box
    MSD Wires and coils (pending)
    Venom high flow fuel pump (pending)

Knowing what kind of car would help...
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Sorry, I got a 2002 pontiac Grand Am GT1 with a 3400! some performance mods!
      2002 Pontiac GrandAm GT1
      3400 v6
      TOG headers
      RSM 62MM T-body
      FFP underdrive pulley
      GRANATELLI MAF
      Ported upper intake
      MSD DIS 4 ignition box

Comment

Yes, I have Baer brakes.....best upgrade I've done for my car. For your application, the only parts that will wear out will be brake pads, and you can use any pad made for a 1988-1996 Corvette, or a 1994-present Mustang Cobra. The rotors are proprietary to Baer, but you should only need to replace these if you race your car on a regular basis.
        Matt
        2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS sedan
        3400/3500 hybrid, Diamond Racing forged pistons, Scat I-beams, TCE DRTC, ported heads, WOT Race cam, PAC 1518s, Manley valves, F40 6-speed with Quaife LSD

Comment

Matt, Where did you purchase your Baer brake upgrade from??

Cliff Scott
          89 BerettaGT
          89 Volvo740
          Cliff Scott
          89 BerettaGT
          04 AleroGX

Comment

i've been looking at the setup offered at pfyc! is there a better/cheeper place?
            2002 Pontiac GrandAm GT1
            3400 v6
            TOG headers
            RSM 62MM T-body
            FFP underdrive pulley
            GRANATELLI MAF
            Ported upper intake
            MSD DIS 4 ignition box

Comment

i for got to ask, where do you get your replacement parts? pads or rotors?
              2002 Pontiac GrandAm GT1
              3400 v6
              TOG headers
              RSM 62MM T-body
              FFP underdrive pulley
              GRANATELLI MAF
              Ported upper intake
              MSD DIS 4 ignition box

Comment

I ordered my setup straight from Baer Racing in AZ. I did it this way because when I bought them, I didn't want all the extra crap that PFYC packages into their kit (i.e. the powdercoated calipers, drilled stock-size rear rotors, cross-drilling/slotting/zinc-washing). Also, the kit PFYC sells has 12" front rotors, and I wanted the bigger 13 inchers, which they stated they could not get for me.

So I called Baer and ordered their 13" Track kit, with plain 2-piece rotors (two-piece rotors are an upgrade over the standard $700 kit), and I paid about $1000 after delivery. I only ended up with fully-optioned rotors (cross-drilled/slotted/zinc-washed) because Baer made a mistake - after a bad brake job involving turning the rotors, I decided to just replace them...so I ordered a new set of PLAIN rotors from Baer, but they sent fully-optioned ones by mistake....to their credit, they didn't charge me over what the plain rotors cost. As I said, the rotors Baer sells are proprietary to Baer, so you must get replacements through them. They're expensive, but you should never have to replace them - unless you get a bad turning job (which I probably didn't need anyway).

When you order a kit from Baer, it comes with new SBS Pro Touring pads, which are quite good. You can get replacements from anywhere; I have Hawk HPS pads up front now from the Tire Rack, and I use Carbotech Panther+ pads on the track (www.carbotechbrakes.com).

Anyway, if you want all the options that PFYC sells in their kit, it's a pretty good deal, actually. But for something a little different (an a 'la carte system like mine), give the nice folks at Baer Racing a call.
                Matt
                2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS sedan
                3400/3500 hybrid, Diamond Racing forged pistons, Scat I-beams, TCE DRTC, ported heads, WOT Race cam, PAC 1518s, Manley valves, F40 6-speed with Quaife LSD

Comment

did you get the two piece rotors? slotted and chros drilled? they cant be turned can they?
                  2002 Pontiac GrandAm GT1
                  3400 v6
                  TOG headers
                  RSM 62MM T-body
                  FFP underdrive pulley
                  GRANATELLI MAF
                  Ported upper intake
                  MSD DIS 4 ignition box

Comment

Working...