Scrap, Rebuild, or replace 4t60e?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrap, Rebuild, or replace 4t60e?

Hello all. let me start by saying thanks to everyone on this site. I have read many useful articles on here that has helped me tremendously. Now to the point. After years of driving my $700 '92 lumina Euro 3.1 3spd auto, I purchased a '92 Z34 Lumina. Considering both cars have the same color exterior, interior, and many parts to swap back and forth, I figured $1000 for it was a good price with 130k on it. After the first few days I realized the trans was suspect. Hoping I would find it was something external causing the problems, I bought it anyway. So I have put about 1500 miles on it so far while replacing things here and there because I am so picky baout the car I drive. Well lately the trans has been getting worse. Hard shift to R while cold, mild shudder from 2-3 upshift, bad shudder and delay when kicked down 3-2 downshift, and slipping with no acceleration while cornering. i love these cars and now must consider my options. First, I am in the process of getting a professional opinion on the matter but assuming the worst, anyone have an opinion on what to do now? I mean KBB on these cars is lower than the cost of a typical trans rebuild but I am considering spending the money anyway just to keep her around for a while. I could get a used trans from the local salvage yard but no gaurantees there, order a reman and put it in myself with my fingers crossed, have it professionally done by my local trans mech I worked with at the local caddy dealership with my cost plus 10% on the parts but no discount on the labor, try to rebuild it myself over the winter while driving the 3.1 (which has 245k on it now by the way). I am mechanically inclined, have the '92 service manual and my own GM tech1 (don't ask) and have the space and time to do it. But I am hesitant on the rebnuild myself just because I figure I'll miss something and have to go through it all again. So I am looking for advice on which way to go. I would also like any suggestions on upgrade parts to consider during the rebuild process that aren't goin to increase the overall price tremedously. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, any ideas on the diagnosis or what could be the problem I would greatly appreciate. If more info is needed, I would be happy to test and post any results someone may need to make an educated guess. Thanks in advance and I hope to hear from ALL of you soon. Eric.

I'd rebuild it yourself or swap in a low mileage known good junkyard replacement.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Hey I have a tranny. its a 4T60E it came out of my 1992 Chevy Z34 Lumina. it has 3000 miles on it. it was rebuilt by a well known tranny shop hear in NY. it has a brand new converter with it as well. I have advertized it on hear before. I only want 300 bucks for it. I would rather see someone use it then it go to scrape. so someone let me know on this thing

Comment

Working...
      X