4t60e transmission problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4t60e transmission problems

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Usually problems relating to the car have already been answered here but now I have a newer problem that I need some assistance with.

This is from a 97 Monte Carlo 3.1 with 163k miles. Trans fluid/filter was changed at 60k and 123k miles and has no leaks.

I noticed a grumbling/grinding noise when sitting idle and accelerating. The noise went away in 3rd gear but came back in 4th. The noise happens when in park, reverse or drive. I decided to drop the pan and found this:

PICT2011.JPG

Metal chunks, small rollers, 2 plastic pieces, and a black film all over the pan.

Changed filter and fluid, put it back together and it still makes a horrible low pitch grinding noise. The car still drives.

So, any ideas what those pieces are? Would it be worth my while to rebuild the tranny or throw in another used?

the plastic chunks may have been thrust washers...

couldn't say where or what the rest of the shrapnel came from...

i don't know hom much i would trust that tranny at that point...
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

That is the thrust washer from between the 2nd drum clutch, and the driven sprocket support. The other metal is either from that, or a previous part that caused the thrust washer to now fail.

Do not drive that car anymore, you are now destroying hard parts. Already right now your probably looking at a replacement over a rebuild.

Got Lope?
      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

^^^^Like He said^^^^

she is done... driving it will only cause more internal damage and could just give out at any time and leave you stranded and cause more damage then already done. Used trans are hit or miss.... you don't really know what your getting.... if you want a sure fix/repair have it rebuilt if its within your budget. I just rebuilt my 4T60 and got all the updated parts and hardened parts, She shifts better then new (crisp, clean and smooth as butter... AND much stronger).

3400-95-Modified and myself both have posts about rebuild info (thanks again to 3400-95-Modified)

S
        Last edited by RedZMonte; 06-23-2010, 06:40 PM.
        Shane "RedZMonte"
        2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
        1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
        -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
        2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
        1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
        1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
        1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
        1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

So I'm going to do both.

I found a used 4t60e tranny from a 95 Lumina for $250. This weekend I'll swap out the transmissions so the wifey can keep on driving while I look into rebuilding the other one.

So todays question is going in a new thread.

Comment

Along the lines of what can go bad, I found this thread listing some problems.

Comment

Based on what you are saying, you might've busted one or both of the torringtons on either ends of the input sun and did some damage to the pump in the process....Yeah it's toast with all that metal floating around. Don't forget to clean the ends of the axles before shoving them into the replacement unit.
              Last edited by gpse3400; 06-27-2010, 12:55 PM.
              Lorenzo
              '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
              '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

Working...
              X