92 4t60e tranny woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 4t60e tranny woes

ok,here's the problem,I was driving the car (92 z34 with 3.4l DOHC),the little vacuum line going to the modulator split,so I got out and fixed it (cut it actually so I had good vacuum),it was shifting just fine before this,now it refuses to shift out of first gear,I have park,reverse,and first.I replaced the ICM,I put a new ground to the tranny,tested the solenoids,all vacuums are good.When driving it,I can get it up to about 30 MPH and it just wants to coast,if I downshift into second it wants to go into first,but I can never get the thing out of first gear!...I am NOT wanting to do a rebuild or take it to a shop....anyone got any ideas? AND I really don't want to pull the tranny...I'm on a limited budget,so...one other thing,will a 92 Grand Prix tranny swap out with my 92 Z34 without any problems?

it doesnt sound good to me if it wont go out of 1st.. i would honestly have someone look at it at this point, pay the 30-40 diag fee to have them check it out. that way you know for sure its toast. the other option would be to drop the trans pan and see what comes out.. it could need a rebuild, could be a plugged filter.. dont know till you look. I have seen plugged trans filter make a trans appear to have gone out. new filter and fluid and back up and running.

Yes another 4T60-E out of another car will work. My 1995 Z34 has the updated sprags and stuff that would normaly be updated in a rebuild so you may look for a 1995 Z34/GTP trans, so yes it should work but, if you get a used one from another car make sure it is a DOHC car to keep your same gear ratios and stall on the TQ converter. I guess you could always swap your diff over. If your tras fluid is BAD (VERY DIRTY or Metal shavings in it) then i would say get the TQ converter referbed, you don't want that crap floating around in the new trans.
    Shane "RedZMonte"
    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

I think 94+ went to PWM TCC solenoid, so a 95 trans wouldn't engage TCC in a 91-93 car. Robert would know for sure.

As far as 92 GP trans into a 92 Z34, if the GP has a DOHC, then yes it would swap over and be a plug and play deal.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

thanks guys for the info..found a used one at the JY for 150.00,with only 53k on it,so,now it's just a matter of pulling the one and putting the other back in...

Comment

Probably smoked the reverse reaction drum or 2nd clutch. You will only have 1st and reverse, no top gears ever. Keep in mind if you disconnect the tansmission harness, the treansmission will hydrauilically default to 3rd/DRIVE. If it does not do this then the prior must be true.
          Lorenzo
          '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
          '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

Working...
          X