Transmission Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Transmission Swap

A friend has a 95 Lumina with a 3100 (blown head gasket, fairly rusty vehicle) and another friend has a 1998 Lumina with a 3100 and a blown transmission. Can the transmission from the 95 Lumina be put into the 1998?

I understand that the 4T60-E was replaced with the 4T65-E transmission in 1997; were they identical at least from an installation standpoint?

Well, my 99 Lumina with 3100 has a 4T60E... As do most Luminas,,, as far as I know... I believe the 4T65E was offered for the DOHC Luminas...
    So, the trannys should be the same....
    Good luck,,,
    Tom....

Comment

No, it will not swap.
      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

The 91-96 DOHC W-bodies got a 3.43 FDR 4T60e transmission... the 97 DOHC W-body got a 3.42 FRD 4T65e.

The 91-99 3.1L W-bodies got a 3.33/3.29 FDR 4T60e transmission. Being that it is a W-body, if the mount points on the sub frame are the same, as long as you use the brackets and axles from the earlier car it should bolt up.

If one uses a side case mounted bracket and one uses the front and rear brackets, then it's probably not going to work with out custom stuff. But all 3100 W-bodies got the same trans, the 4T60e.
        sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
        - Ben

Comment

Working...
        X