AW4 to 3.4 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AW4 to 3.4 conversion

Where oh where can I find an adapter part for this conversion? A little bird whispered in my ear that a bellhousing from a 2004 isuzu rodeo might fit ... but this part seems impossible to find.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

If you can find a bellhousing from a 2.5L 4-banger Jeep that should work for you. I have no idea how common those are but probably more common than any Isuzu bellhousing.
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Well according to this website http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm the 2.5 and AW4 was a rare combination so it might be harder to find than I thought lol.
      It was apparently available in some XJs and MJs 87+.
      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
        Well according to this website http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm the 2.5 and AW4 was a rare combination so it might be harder to find than I thought lol.
        It was apparently available in some XJs and MJs 87+.
        Yeah thanks for the heads up. It is really hard to find this bell housing. I might have better luck making it with a 3d plastic engineer.

Cheers,

Comment

And assuming you're from Canada, everything that's rare is twice as rare here
          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Well I did a search using used http://www.car-part.com/ for 2004 isuzu rodeo transmission and I did find several avail for around $750. But then I can't imagine the cost of shipping a transmission. Unless I just pay for he entire transmission and ask them to ship the bellhousing only ... which I guess would finally get rid of that damn standard out of my jeep ... but what a cost!

Comment

Will the rodeo bellhousing work as well?
              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Well according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_MU it looks like no.

Comment

But according to this thread http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,1362340 it is a possibility. But the question is where did they get that bell housing to fit the AW-4?

Comment

Just call one of those places with the trans and ask how much for just the bellhousing. Chances are whoever is buying the trans anyway will already have their bellhousing.
                    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Well it's that time again, should I just build a bellhousing out of plastic or something?

Comment

Any particular reason you want to use this transmission? Is it what is currently in the vehicle?

You can make an adapter plate with enough care and time. This is how I mated an LX9 to a Nissan FS5R30A transmission.

AdapterPlate.jpg
                        FirstMating.jpg
                        FirstMatingRear.jpg

Comment

Thanks for your reply. That is absolutely brilliant Raven, I wish I could do this. The reason is that the aw4 was common in Jeep Cherokee so the linkage, and controller is readily available. The v60/aw4 bellhousing was avail in very limited from 94-95 but I'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than finding one in this lifetime. GM sold the bellhousing data to Isuzu and I believe the aw4 bellhousing was used in 2004 Rodeo but Isuzu is run out of someones basement nowadays and also very difficult to procure.

Mayb what I need to do is take two bellhousing, one from a v60 (say the 4L6OE and one from aw4) then 3d-print the two into one. The plastic will be strong enough and I can shield it from heat with paint or plating. My next step should be to contact a printing firm to see if this is remotely affordable.

Comment

Go on Planetisuzoo.com sign up and find the member Jlemond he stocks and sells Isuzu OEM parts. However the AW4 was only used behind Isuzu 4 Cylinders which doesn't have the same trans pattern as a 3.4L. All V6 Isuzu models used GM 4L30E transmissions. It is possible that the 4L30E bellhousing used behind the 2.8L will bolt to the AW4 so that might the solution.
                            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I would like to confirm that the rodeo bellhousing will absolutely work with my 3.4 I did find a thread with a guy working on a 3.8 and an aw4 http://pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthr...Drive-YJ/page2 he says

The bellhousing is a factory Isuzu part. Because GM and Isuzu are in bed with each other, the 3.5L v6 in the late model rodeos shares the gm 60 deg pattern with the 3.1, 3.4, and 3.8L Chevy Engines (even though the 3.8L L67 is a 90 deg engine). AND because Aisin Warner made the trans for the rodeo (essentially an AW4), it all bolts together with only a few spacers for the torque converter. I have a PN if you need it. The AW4 has proven itself behind a few turbo 4.0L's and is a variant of the trans in the turbo supra (big power). Lots of good stuff in there, it just hates heat. Keep it cool and you've got a bulletproof trans.

But I have a feeling this is one of those things that have to be felt to be 100% certain.

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
                              X