Rebuilding a Maunal transaxel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding a Maunal transaxel

has anyone done this or know where i can get a guide? It's in a 89 beretta GTU i found a sticker it that had a barcode and the word muncie. I know its limited slip thats why i wanna keep it. just need to replace atleast the synchro's and clutch fork.
    thanks

What makes you think it has a limited slip?

Rodney Dickman has online instructions on how to split the case on a Fiero Getrag (pretty much identical to the Beretta trans). He also sells copies of the factory rebuild instructions for $10. http://www.rodneydickman.com/transaxle.html

Marty
    '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
    '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
    '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
    '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
    Originally posted by Aaron
    This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

your tranny is a muncie/getrag. its a muncie case, getrag internals.

there were about 260 muncie/getrags built with a limited slip. they were all in achive scx cars with the w41 quad 4 (195hp quad 4). they also had a 3.94 gear ratio. its very unlikley you have one, as your 89 is a few years before the w41, and it wouldnt be a factory tranny as you have to swap the bellhousing from the v6 onto it. coule this with the fact that there were how many hundred throusand getrag 5 speeds built, its highly unlikley.

now unless it has had an aftermarket limited slip diff put in it.

Comment

i just figured it was limited slip because when i hammer it both wheels would spin

Comment

Originally posted by sharkey
          your tranny is a muncie/getrag. its a muncie case, getrag internals.

there were about 260 muncie/getrags built with a limited slip. they were all in achive scx cars with the w41 quad 4 (195hp quad 4). they also had a 3.94 gear ratio. its very unlikley you have one, as your 89 is a few years before the w41, and it wouldnt be a factory tranny as you have to swap the bellhousing from the v6 onto it. coule this with the fact that there were how many hundred throusand getrag 5 speeds built, its highly unlikley.

now unless it has had an aftermarket limited slip diff put in it.

No, There were 7 SCX Cars built with the Torsen LSD, ALL of which were showroom stock SCCA cars for teams. NO SCX equipped with a LSD was sold with the public.

Nemesis, Thats just good traction. The only way that trans would have a LSD in it would be if someone put one in.
          Colin
          92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
          90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

hmmm, i heard different. i even have a service manual with a supliment for the scx limited slip. and it wasnt a torsen style lsd either, it was a clutch style.

Comment

I know we used to have this arguement on Jbody.org 4-5 years ago all the time about the needle in a haystack LSD's that were factory equipped. Talk to David Clettenburg, (Zliner) its only 7 of them.
              Colin
              92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
              90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.

Comment

No ones ever confirmed they even sold them with LSD's in the first place, could just be a rumor.

On the subject of rebuilding the getrag 282 (or muncie or whatever it is) It's not the easiest transmission to work on, but I must say that you should NOT try to open or service one without the manual, and that they require a few special tools, or just a well equipt garage, (with a press) You will need some special socket/bit pieces to pull the shaft retainer screws out. they are incredibly tight, lock-tite'd one is reverse threaded, and they strip out easily if you don't use the right tool. And even once youv'e loosened them, they still take the same effort most of the way through getting them off. The last most important thing to know is that the differential carrier bearings must be shimmed to -.004" preload, you won't find that one directly printed in the manual... Oh yea, and parts aren't easy to come by and are expensive (so I've heard) I had a few parts transmissions I would scavenge parts out of.

In the mean time, its also a good time to customize ratios if you want.

Comment

well ill prolly just stuck with the one i have only thing is that top speed is 80 mph runnin 5500 rpms! that suck kinda
                  o well it just needs new mains i think

Comment

Originally posted by v6h.o.
                    I know we used to have this arguement on Jbody.org 4-5 years ago all the time about the needle in a haystack LSD's that were factory equipped. Talk to David Clettenburg, (Zliner) its only 7 of them.
                    I remeber talking to Dave about those. Didnt they also have a 2.3 that was more powerful than the W41, that put out 200+hp? (something like 220 maybe?) He sounded like he would almost kill to have one of those cars.
                    97 Cavalier RS
                    3400, Isuzu MK7

Comment

anyone know how i can remove the clutch fork?

Comment

i wouldn't attempt tearing apart a manual transaxle if you have had no experience because you'll just end up making things worse. Tho its not hard at all. just a word of advice.....
                        sigpic

1993 Cavalier Z24, 3.1/3400 hybrid, crane 272 cam, LS6 springs,port and polish,2.5 exhaust to 80 series flowmaster,solid mounts

Comment

Working...
                        X