Question about the U van V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the U van V6

I've got a question about the 3.1 V6 in the Lumina APV. I was told a while ago on one web forum that the 3.1 in the U vans had more in common with the old transverse 2.8's than they did with the Gen II V6's, such as having iron heads and throttle body injection. Is that true? I'm looking at buying a 94 APV with the 3.1 and I just wanted to make sure they were the ones that didn't have headgasket problems. I had an 89 P6K with a boatload of miles on it that had headgasket trouble, what a PITA. Ended up selling the car for 50 bucks.

No one knows..?

Comment

yes, they are iron head 3.1's with TBI
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Do they have the headgasket problems the Gen II V6's had? I can't get a straight answer out of anyone! Some people say they did, some people say they don't!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Infinitrium View Post
          Do they have the headgasket problems the Gen II V6's had? I can't get a straight answer out of anyone! Some people say they did, some people say they don't!!!
          what headgasket problem?

the HG went on my 93 3.1L in the Z24 but it had over 100K on it atleast. I've never heard of a consistant HG failure on the 3.1.

Besides, as long as the mating surfaces are clean and straight, a new gasket should last for a very long time.
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Iron heads never had any gasket sealing problems to speak of. The only common leak point was the distributor O-Ring.

Your safe.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

While they don't blow gaskets with regularity, it's not unheard of. However, it certainly doesn't attain the level of frequency of the FWD LIM problem eh?!!

And while you do see the occasional leaking gasket on a TBI intake, it's no where near as prevalent as the FWD LIM issues. I'd expect a periodic check of intake fasteners tightness on the TBI intake would prevent that problem in most cases.

You'll find a lot of valve cover gasket leaks on hi-miles engines, good to do gaskets and dist O-ring all at the same time since you've got to take a lot of the same stuff off for either job.

Just as an aside, since the 3.1 found in those GM FWD minivans has the starter in a FWD configuration, it's a perfect swap into a 2.8 Trooper!
              '90 Trooper 3.4 Conversion, bored intake, Holley Big-Bore, 1.6:1 Small Block Chev V8 roller-tipped rocker arms.

Comment

Working...
              X