Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to forum, have 3.4L swap questions, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum, have 3.4L swap questions, etc.

Hi, folks, and thanks in advance for bearing with an ignorant newbie. I was pointed here by folks on another forum.

Here's my scenario: I'm doing a budget engine swap on a Jeep rockcrawler project. It currently has a 2.8 in front of a 904 auto tranny. The 60-degree Chevy V6 will bolt right in as you all know.

Problem is, I can't seem to find a complete (efi, harness, computer) engine in the wrecking yards in my area (phoenix) for a reasonable price. The last price I got was $1,200 for a used motor, which seems ridiculous.

I've been asking for a 3.4L V6 out of a 93-95 Camaro/Firebird. Should I be checking other sources for this motor as well? What's a reasonable price for this motor out of a wrecked vehicle? Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.
    Dion

Hmm, OK, maybe I didn't ask a clear question. Is there another rear-wheel drive source for a Chevy 3.4L V6 other than a 93-95 Camaro/Firebird. S-10 perhaps? Any help is appreciated.
    Dion

Comment

You could order a crate motor from GM... they sell an engine designed to swap straight into the carbed S series trucks, and it's about $1700 from gmpartsdirect IIRC.

Check ebay! Maybe you could find one there.
      60v6's original Jon M.

Comment

I paid $550 for my engine. It was mint I got every accessory and bracket but sadly no ECM or harness. I am not that familiar with the Jeeps. Is your a carbed setup now? I asume since it will be seeing high angles the EFI is almost a must. 1993 to 1995 Camaros are sadly the ONLY source for used RWD 3.4L's. But you may want to look for 1990 to 1992 3.1L's from the Camaros. The 3.1L at least has the increased stroke to the torque numbers are much higher than the old 2.8L.

Paying around 700 for a good motor with a warrenty and a complete haness would not be a bad deal.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

BTY: Thanks, man. That's what I was looking for. I do need the efi, so a carbed motor is out. At least I know my search is sufficiently narrow now. I would pay $700 for a complete motor with harness, but $1,200 seemed ridiculous. Thanks again.
          Dion

Comment

Easy to use website building tool for your professional or personal website and blog, web hosting, domain registration, email and more at Tripod.com!

Try asking Kerist. He's doing the same swap as I and he's in Pheonix!

Comment

Here is the source for 2.8 to 3.4 swap info. It is based on S-10's but most of the info will apply to you.
              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
              X