Low coolant light on....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low coolant light on....

i am in need of some suggested help...my low coolant light popped on yesterday and everything was runnin good and what not.....let the engine cool down, checked the reservoir-full. Laid down undernesth and noticed a small puddle of coolant-bout the size of a 50 cent piece. checked the hoses and everything was tight and fine. Checked the reservoir today-bone dry and no puddle on the ground. Any idea??

it may or may not be something to be concerned with. I would fill up your resevoir to the proper level, and just keep an eye on it.

I know that with the current temperatures getting hotter and hotter, the cooling system needs to adjust itself, so it could just be that. It could also be your thermostat stuck for a bit, then finally opened, up, or that just the coolant level sensor is going out.

Since your resevoir was bone dry, it might just mean it had emptied out, and had to readjust itself.

I know right now that in my 1995 Cutlass Supreme SL 3.4 DOHC, last night, the low coolant light came on, but it was not at full brightness. The coolant is fine, so I don't know what it means.

When the light normally comes on in my car, then it is REALLY bright, and this one was kinda dim, but it was definatly ON.
    Taylor
    1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
    1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
    1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
    "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

My coolant light comes on all the time. The cap is loose on the reservoir (18 yr old Lumina). Maybe your having the same problem? Open the radiator cap when cool and make sure you have coolant up to the top. Top off the radiator and the reservoir. Then start the engine and let it run till warm and open the bleed valves and you should have water coming out of the bleed valves in a steady stream not steam or sputtering. Once you do that you should be fine. Just keep an eye on it in case of a leak somewhere.

Comment

how do i bleed it?? somone else told me the same thing. My reservoir cap is fine....so, i dont kno. my radiator doesnt have a cap....now that my coolant system has about 80% water in it, im guessing its evaporating quicker because its more water that actual coolant but i dont know. im bout done with the damn car.....just changed the spark plugs and the damn engine ticks now....kinda sounds like a faint "chika-chika" sound. is that a spark plug not tightened down all the way?? they are gapped properly, but it started after i was told to take out my bosch's and go back the deco's. Changed them and here we are.....

Comment

hows your oil look any milkshake look to it and any different looking substance on the oil filler cap.

from previous experience and from what other people have reported usually when the low coolant light comes on its time for the lim gasket change.
          sigpic
          99 Grand Am GT
          3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
          Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
          1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
          515 515 lift 112 lsa
          15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

To bleed your coolant system ,take the res cap off and start the car. Let it idle for about 20 minutes. You should see air bubbles coming back through the res tank if you have air. Put the cap back on , let it cool down and repeat. That should do it. GL.

Comment

theres also a bleeder screw in the area i circled on the tube running into the firewall
              sigpic
              99 Grand Am GT
              3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
              Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
              1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
              515 515 lift 112 lsa
              15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Working...
              X