89 z24 2.8 emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 z24 2.8 emissions

I just had my cavalier inspected and it failed for hydrocarbons. the reading was 3.1 and the limit is 2.0. Its had a complete tune-up along with a new O2 sensor, AIC, and a kn stock filter. I've checked for vacuum leaks, and the egr diapghram still moves with throttle(though i'm not sure that means it's working correctly......it'd be an expensive guess) I also burn premium gas every fill up and have put numerous bottles of fuel injector cleaner in the past few months. It doesn't have the greatest of gas mileage and seems like it lacks power. Anyone have any suggestions?

"put numerous bottles of fuel injector cleaner in the past few months" - What were you using for fuel injector cleaner? Multec injectors do not like certain types of Alchohol ran through them and it will actually destroy them over time, if you have multec style injectors.

If you are just barely failing emissions, try to get the engine/exhaust as hot as possible. Give it some good long revs before it is tested. Unfortunatelty, I know around here the inspection lines can be long at times and unless you know a person in the shop, you probably will not be able to get your car tested when it is extremely hot.

Your CAT could be bad, plugging or hollowed out aswell.

-Dave
    If I seem Crazy it is because, I am insane. No lie. Ask my psychiatrist. But, i have good intentions. sometimes.

Comment

i use chevron techron cleaner. The car was inspected and was only off for about ten to fiteen minutes. The reading of hydrocarbons was over one and a half times the limit. the cat was replaced about two years ago. would that actually affect unburned gas?

Comment

Working...
      X