3.1 cam bearing orientation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.1 cam bearing orientation question

What is the orientation of the front cam bearing oiling holes? More specifically what is the clock position of the hole with the notch (with the engine upright)?

4 o clock. With the dual hole bearing put one hole at 4 o clock and the second hole comes before that at 2 o clock or so
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
      4 o clock. With the dual hole bearing put one hole at 4 o clock and the second hole comes before that at 2 o clock or so
      I'm not sure I follow.

My front bearing has two holes as you say, but they are 90* apart. That would place the notched hole at 4 o clock and the other at 7 o clock.

Also my block has 3 holes in the front position. One at 6 o clock, one around 10 o clock and the other at approximately 2 o clock. The hole at the 6 o clock appears to be the main feed and the other two appear to feed the lifter galleys. They are connected by a full circumference groove...

Comment

No turn it counter clockwise more so they are at 4 and 1. The oil galleys don't matter the bottom one (6 o clock) feeds the main and cam. the left and right ones feed the lifters.

Comment

No turn it counter clockwise more so they are at 4 and 1. The oil galleys don't matter the bottom one (6 o clock) feeds the main and cam. the left and right ones feed the lifters.
          I think I've got it... Notched hole at 4 and the other hole at 1 (engine upright), correct? I must have been overthinking it some... OK, maybe a bunch.

Comment

Okay... So due to extenuating circumstances (cam bearing being installed wrong by the machinist and damaged- prior to my first post) I've gotten a replacement. The problem is it is a Durabond piece (set) and the other 3 are FM or SP. Not really an issue except the Durabond cam bearings don't have the notched hole.

This brings me to ask- is the clock position still the same and should I notch it???
            Last edited by ProX; 04-30-2010, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Does it have 1 or 2 holes? The shape of the hole is not critical. 2 holes are not even necessary I am not sure of the true logic behind it but I am running a set of small block bearings and have only 1 oil feed hole for the front bearing. But in any case the orientation is the same.

Comment

Does it have 1 or 2 holes? The shape of the hole is not critical. 2 holes are not even necessary I am not sure of the true logic behind it but I am running a set of small block bearings and have only 1 oil feed hole for the front bearing. But in any case the orientation is the same.
                Yeah, that's one detail I forgot to mention.. It does have only one hole. So, 4 o clock it is.

Thank you for your help!!!

-X-

Comment

Working...
                X