Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any problems related to graphite head gaskets

Hello,
    I have stopped in occasionally over the years, and have a simple question.

Has anyone here experienced corrosion issues between an iron block and and aluminum heads using graphite head gaskets?

This question is prompted by my metallurgical experience with dissimilar metals corrosion when incorporating graphite in structures that include both steel and aluminum.

I drive a 2005 Malibu Maxx with a 3500 V-6 and I hope to drive this car for at least another 5 years before any major repairs, hence the question.

Note: the U.S. military banned use of graphite based lubricants some time ago, for use in aircraft that were made with aluminum. ( all aircraft are made of aluminum ). and recommended the same for small arms too.( read M-16, M-4 etc. )

Any educated responses would be welcome, and hope this will prompt some to inquire further.

Thanks.

Welcome!

I've had many of these engines apart, like 20+ and never have never seen any corrosion on the deck or head surfaces. I have seen some pitting on the head from what looked like the gasket backing material but it didn't show any signs of corrosion. This includes the 2 '04 3500's from Malibus in my garage.

From what i've seen the graphite geskets far out-last the standard style Felpros.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Thanks Dave, for the quick response.I had owned a 3.1 liter Grand Prix, and had an issue with head gaskets a couple times. Seems it was a common problem.The last time the rebuilt heads were matched with graphite gaskets, so the new owner will hopefully not have an issue.
      I tend to take care of my vehicles pretty well, and will do the same for my '05 Maxx. My GP served me well for 15 years, and only recently began to suffer corrosion issues.
      I hope to get that kind of life out of the Maxx too, hence the question.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X