heat shield on the crossover pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat shield on the crossover pipe

When I did my head gaskets on my 96 monte 3100, I didn't put the heat shield on my crossover pipe that connects the two manifolds below the throttle body. I needed the room to work and I just simply forgot to put it on when I could have done it easily. My question is do I need this shield or can I run the car without it? If I need to put it on It will have to be Sunday (that's my nearest day off). Is it ok to drive it until then?

Thanks!!!

I'd say that you need to put it on. It sheilds a lot things from the radiant heat coming off the crossover. You have fuel lines above it, your rubber intake tube, wiring, etc. It is worth having on there.

That said, I don't think its an emergency that you need to run out and do it right now. Should be fine to drive for a few days. I'm using 3400 exhaust manifolds on my LX9 and made a similar mistake. I put the crossover on without fitting the shield loosely over it first. It was a pain to get on with crossover already bolted down but it is doable.
    1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
    1994 Corvette
    LT1/ZF6
    2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
    3.7/42RLE

Comment

I don't have my rear sheild on haven't had it on for a year and a half.

Comment

the bottom half of all of my shields have rotted off.... top half is still there though, which is the more important part IMO.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
          the bottom half of all of my shields have rotted off.... top half is still there though, which is the more important part IMO.

Cept he isn't stupid, lol. But yeah, I agree, the upper is the more important part since heat rises.
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
          X