Gen 1 L32 PCM requiring speed input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 1 L32 PCM requiring speed input

I posted a little earlier about a swap that I'm in the middle of. 1994 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L V6 4L60e into a 1985 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4x4.

Something that may turn up to be an issue is the speed input. Blazer uses a cable driven speedometer, whereas the Camaro uses electronic speedometer.

As far as I can tell from the wiring diagram, the only purpose for the electronic speedometer in the Camaro is for the cruise control computer. I'm really really banking on the hope that the PCM does not require a speed input in order for the vehicle to operate, as I would really prefer to use the cable driven speedometer cable. This would save me much hassle in figuring out how to get an electronic speed sensor to work with the transfer case tailshaft.

Does the L32 3.4L PCM /absolutely/ require a speed input to operate?

Solution:

Called up Jags That Run, who specializes in V8 swaps into S10's and other vehicles. They verified for me that the 4L60E absolutely requires a VSS input in order to operate. They sell a reluctor ring collar which fits around the transmission output shaft as well as the factory GM VSS which sends a readable signal to the PCM. This will allow the 4L60E to receive a VSS signal and shift properly.

Read the VSS chapter in the Jags that Run V8 Swap manual:

Comment

Working...
    X