Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Misfire below 3k rpm (3400 OBD2 swap Fiero)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misfire below 3k rpm (3400 OBD2 swap Fiero)

The car: 1986 Fiero GT 4 speed with 2005 Chevrolet Equinox 3400 V6 (LNJ) swap using 1998 3400 (LA1) controls. Swapped to 24x crank trigger wheel (harmonic balancer) and installed external 7x crank trigger wheel. 7X, 24x, and cam position sensors were all brand new when I did the engine swap in 2011.

Car has been slowing misfiring worse and worse since before winter. Did a clutch and exhaust job over winter with the engine out, finally got it back together but now after about 20-30 miles of test drive it is misfiring bad enough to barely be able to cruise when below 3k rpms. Car starts bucking when given throttle. Anything over about 3k no big deal, car runs great.

Based on past experience the issue is with one of the crank sensors.

codes are:
    P0300 (multiple cylinder misfire...no surprise here)
    P0336 (crankshaft position sensor A circuit Range/Performance)

So my first thought is, have I messed up the timing by accidentally adjusting the 7X trigger location? I adjusted the 7x sensor timing. It was 1 degree off, set it back to zero. Cleared the codes, let it idle for a bit while I put the wheel and tire back on and moved cars around the driveway before going for a short test drive. Car doesn't really drive any differently. This leads me to the 24x sensor?

If the 7x sensor isn't telling the computer that the crank is out of sync with the 24x and cam sensor, and the sensors are all new, I think I'm leading toward a wiring issue with one of these sensors. The 7x wire is just a plug and play twisted wire from the sensor to the coil packs (ICM.) Getting into the 24x and cam sensor wires is going to be a chore so I thought I would ask you all for opinions on what might cause this misfire and crank code.

thought?

I'm curious to know if you've ever gone through a CASE learn procedure?
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Now there is something obvious I totally forgot about. No I've never done one before. Computer was mail order baseline tuned by Sinister Performance and I never messed with anything, it just fired right up perfectly. Some additional details if necessary:

WOT stage 2 heads and intakes (LA1 upper)
      3500 valves
      Strip camshaft, pushrods and Comp springs
      65mm throttlebody

none of these mods were done directly before the engine started acting up. It was driving fine since the last teardown in 2014. Might have had the battery pulled over both winters, would that require a relearn?

Comment

fairly certain the CASE value is stored in some type of non-volatile memory(external flash or more likely flash/EEPROM internal to the microcontroller), so that shouldn't cause it.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Finally was able to take a look at this car again. As it turns out, the problem was the bolt to the crank pulley was loose (only finger tight) which caused the TCE external trigger wheel to be loose and turn a few degrees very easily. Torqued the bolt back down to spec and the car runs great. It might be time for a new bolt since this pulley has been on and off a few times now.

Comment

What is the torque specification? How do you keep the engine from turning so you can tighten the bolt?
            Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Working...
            X