too short pushrods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too short pushrods

I'm getting my cam reground, and as the base circle is being cut down, my stock pushrods no longer meet the pushing need. I was wondering if someone could explain what would happen in the hypothetical situation that I went ahead and used the stock pushrods on the reground cam. It would be even better, but not necesary, if this explanation contained small words, and the big words required could have definitions because idiots need to be able to understand too.

RE: too short pushrods

if you use the stock pushrods, you will not be able to adjust the valve lash (or with hydralic, the preload) correctly, and you would end up with a clicking valve train.

you have 2 options, get custom pushrods made, or spend more money and get the comp cams roller rockers and studs.

Comment

RE: too short pushrods

I ran stock pushrods for almost 2 years on a regrind with no problems. Was it ideal? Maybe not, but there was not issues with it either.
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

It is gonna depend on how much the base circle was ground. If it was only .002 then who cares no big deal. If it was .060 then you need to care. Whatever was removed needs to be compensated for in additional pushrod length.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Re: RE: too short pushrods

Originally posted by bszopi
          I ran stock pushrods for almost 2 years on a regrind with no problems. Was it ideal? Maybe not, but there was not issues with it either.
          IIRC your lift at the lobe was more than .300" after the regrind, correct? .300" is the max I'm letting it go to on mine.

My plan was to go with custom length pushrods as I had doubts about the stock pushrods fitting. It's the gen 3 hydraulic roller cam I'm using. Could someone explain just what preload and lash are, I'm still quite a newb when it comes to cam speak.

Comment

Preload is how much the plunger is pushed inside the lifter when you torque the rocker nut/bolt down.

Zero preload is where the plunger is against the metal stop wire. Optimal preload is between .020" and .060"
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I dont mean to hijack the thread but I also am getting a regrind from comp and interested in this.

Comment

never mind found a great article here
                World’s top manufacturer of performance camshafts, lifters, valve springs, rocker arms and related valve train parts for all race and street performance engines

Comment

great article, cleared up a lot of uncertainty I had about what to do there

Comment

Working...
                  X