2001 Lumina 3100, excess cranking time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Lumina 3100, excess cranking time

Question about the wife's car. It's a 2001 Lumina with a 3100, 174,000 miles. We've had the car for two years. The engine has started a bit strangely ever since we've had it- I don't think that it's getting any worse, but it's getting on my nerves.

When I start the thing, I have to crank it quite a bit longer than my other 3100 ('94 Corsica). It isn't THAT bad- just a few seconds... but it seems like it has to spin over a full turn or two before it'll start.

The battery is only a year old, and in good condition. The cables are in good shape. The engine cranks plenty fast... it's a matter of how long I gotta crank it before it fires up. The car runs perfect otherwise... no codes or issues whatsoever.

Any ideas? Weak crank sensor, maybe?

Could be low compression, and the cranking builds some compression, and that's when it fires. Could be a weak fuel pump, too. Check fuel pressure, and if you're ambitious, compression, too.
    \"NASCAR is an integral part of my life. A part of me died when Dale Earnhardt died.\"

1997 Olds CS 4-door S/C - 183,527 miles
    1999 Chevrolet Lumina 3100 - Wife took it at 158,340 miles
    1989 Volvo 740GL Wagon 2.3 8v - 232,050 miles

Comment

Does it only do it for the first startup for the day, and is fine for the rest of the day? If so, if the car sits for a few hours, and overnight be hard to start again?

If that is the case, then the most likely culprit is the pulsator (fuel pump thing). The seal goes out in them so that is loses pressure when it sits.

One way to check this is turn the key on, wait for the fuel pump to stop running, THEN start the car. That is how I diagnosed it in my Grand Prix.
      Taylor
      1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
      1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
      1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
      1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
      "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

This cranking symptom occurs every single time the engine is started. Doesn't seem to be affected by temperature, time sitting, or anything of the sort.

I'll check fuel pressure. I seriously doubt that compression is bad. It doesn't use a drop of oil.

I'd be interested in any other suggestions.

Comment

Nearly two years and 35,000 miles later the car still does the same thing, but I've got to know the vehicle better, and can be a little more specific.

The symptom remains the same, but I've noticed that if I give it a little throttle while cranking, the engine will fire right up. It's as if the engine is starved for air while cranking. I'm not too familiar with IAC valve on these cars (I understand what they do, but have never removed or messed with one)... would that be a possibility?

Comment

Can you say if the exhaust is smokey...and if so... the color of the plumes? Bright blue smoke after acceleration from a Stop Light indicates Bad Valve Guide Seals. You can diagnose whether the problem is Bad Valves by taking a 3" X 6" strip of paper and while the engine is idling...hold the strip of paper across the very end of the tail pipe. If the engine is behaving normally...the paper will flutter like a Hummingbird's wings...but if there are worn valves and valve seats any place within the engine heads... the strip of paper will occasionally get sucked back inside of the tail pipe. If this happens even once..the diagnosis is conclusive for needing a Valve Job on both engine heads.

Consider doing a Dry/Wet compression test on this tired engine. This very excellent instructional video has some Universal Compression Testing Procedures that should be followed to accomplish the task without ruining your battery or making the test impossible:

This clip lists the steps for performing a cylinder compressions test. It covers disabling the ignition and fuel system, hooking up a battery charger, perf...

The compression test is definitive and depending upon the readings...you will know whether the engine needs the refreshment of a Ring and Valve job.

Comment

My friends did this, not sure if it still does. Some say it's a fuel pressure issue, FPR ,etc.
              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by 3100 MPFI View Post
                One way to check this is turn the key on, wait for the fuel pump to stop running, THEN start the car. That is how I diagnosed it in my Grand Prix.
                that's the ONLY way i start a fuel injected vehicle.
                1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                Latest nAst1 files here!
                Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Bah, I just turn the key, fires right up!
                  sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                  1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                  16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                  Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

i can do that, but i feel that it isn't the best way to go about it.
                    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                    Latest nAst1 files here!
                    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

mine had this problem as well. it turned out to be a bad fpr
                      MODS: DS CAI, TCE 65 mm tb, TCE AFPR, TCE LS lifter springs, WOT ported UIM and LIM, 3500 heads, comp cams valve springs locks and retainers, 1393 grind cam, S&S headers, custom 2.5 in catback, flowmaster 80 series , no rez, and to top it all off, an MPR tune. Among misc gauges and appearence things

Comment

its burnt vavles not leting it hold compresion lol

Comment

If the Sparks are tarry black and gooey and/or... gap out at what looks like 0.075" from electrolytic wear and tear... that might make starting a Stone Bitch, too.

Comment

Originally posted by tractorman View Post
                            I'm not too familiar with IAC valve on these cars (I understand what they do, but have never removed or messed with one)... would that be a possibility?
                            It's an easy enough thing to check on. It's near the top of the thottlebody facing the firewall. There'll be 2 torx screws holding it in. If you move the pintle while cleaning/inspecting it, make sure it's extended no more than 1-1/8th of an inch from the mounting flange to the tip of the pintle before re-assembly.
                            1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                              that's the ONLY way i start a fuel injected vehicle.
                              My truck still has the hanging tag that was on the rear view in the glove box that says "This vehicle is equipped with an EFI system" and says not to hit the gas or anything to start it, lol.
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                              Originally posted by Jay Leno
                              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                              X