3.1L losing oil pressure radomly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.1L losing oil pressure radomly

I recently bought a 91 Isuzu Rodeo with the TBI 3.1L, and its got a few issues but the one that is most concerning to me is while your driving the oil pressure gauge with start bouncing up and down and the oil light with flicker on and off. It will mainly do this while up in the rpm's a little like climbing a hill, but what's even stranger is that, in a left hand curve the oil pressure stays up, but in a right hand curve the oil pressure will fall completely off and the oil light comes on the whole way through the curve until it straightens up, it almost acts like it doesn't have enough oil in it(but it does) or its not draining back into the oil pan fast enough. Now what I have done so far is, I ran an engine flush through the engine, because it had sat for over a year and had few lifters that were not opening the valves and had two dead cyl. Now I'm concerned that it oil pickup screen might of gotten stopped up with build up, how it does it so randomly and doesn't do it until the engine is completely warmed up. I have also changed the oil 3 times in the last 50 miles until the oil stopped looking black and I got most of the junk out of the engine. I'm a mechanic and I know that I'll probably have to pull the engine and overhaul it but I'm hoping that if there isn't any blockage that requires the oil pan coming off, and I can get away with tearing into the topend of the engine without pulling the engine. So if anybody has any ideas please let me know. Thanks in advance!

mine oil pressure would be normal and then drop down when i was in the rpm's. turned out the sender was leaking.
    95 Z26 3400/OBDII/GETRAG

Comment

If I may make a suggestion...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

It is a rare event... but on occasion... the Oil Screen Pick-Up Tube can simply fall off and drop to the bottom of the oil pan. If the SeaFoam or similar oil and carbon removing cleaning treatment fails to work or improve the variation on oil pressure when the fluid level in the pan is under dynamic wave motion from turns... Drain the Oil and Change the Oil Filter ...but before you install a new filter and fill up the crankcase... take a Dead Blow Hammer and tap or rap on the bottom center of the Oil Pan...not hard enough to dent or damage the metal...the rebound energy will cause anything laying in the bottom of the pan to rattle and vibrate inside the empty crankcase chamber...and the sound will be distinctive if the Oil Pick-Up Tube is laying loose down there. If this turns out to be the case... Your task is clear... the engine must be pulled before the oil level drops enough to allow the oil pump to suffer cavitation and engine bearing failure and seizure will follow. If you have to endure this PITA engine pull...be certain to braze or TIG weld in the new pick up on your new pump:

This video demonstrates the correct installation procedure of a Melling press in oil pump screen to the oil pump. For a full step by step document to accompa...
      Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 11-22-2009, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X