code 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• code 45

So I've got an issue. I keep getting a Code 45. For a while it runs like a damn champ, but after a couple of minutes it brings up the CEL. The O2 sensor is brand new, the pigtail and wire is brand new. I'm running a 3.1 from 93 Grand Prix and I'm running a stock computer from an 87 Beretta 2.8. Any ideas? Does this thing require a Fuel Pressure Regulator or something? I think I saw one one (or something that looked like it near the fuel rail, when I bought the motor). I'm stuck.

1988 Chevy Beretta GT - 250,000 Miles and kicking...hard

I move swiftly and silently like the cobra, like... THE FLU!

45 is O2 rich.... if your FPR is disconnected from a good vacuum source, it ups the flow of the injectors, which can cause these issues.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Thanks Robert. I checked all the vacuum lines and the FPR and they're fine. What I'm having an issue is that when it fires up, it runs wonderfully, but after it warms up it just dies. It has new plugs, wires, Fuel Pump is new, Fuel Sender is new, the computer is fine, Coils are good, ICM is good, almost everything is good. I'm running out of ideas. Anyone?

1988 Chevy Beretta GT - 250,000 Miles and kicking...hard

I move swiftly and silently like the cobra, like... THE FLU!

Comment

Does the car smell like raw fuel after running for a bit (like, when it is going to die)? Pull the vacuum line off the FPR and sniff it. If you see or smell fuel, replace the FPR.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Could be the regulator, they usually leak fuel into the vac line, after it dies do as pocket-rocket suggested, pull the vac line from the FPR and give it a sniff, fuel odor would point to the regulator.

Have you ruled out leaky injectors?

I had a similar problem. I was running rich due to a bad O2, changed it and the engine would still die. It still smelled a bit rich, (code went off) and after changing all the intake seals, TB seal, IAC motor and injector o rings it stayed the same.

I narrowed it down by chance to a bad TB. I had a spare from the old engine, cleaned it up real good and swapped em, haven't had the problem since.

Have you cleaned out the passageways to the TB? They can get pretty nasty.

How about your vacuum? Have you checked to see what your pulling?

Maybe a bad EGR? It would allow too much exhaust gas into the engine, causing the engine to increase fuel delivery to compensate, thus running rich and causing stalling. The EGR shouldn't open during idle.

Comment

when EGR is active, the PCM runs the injectors leaner due to the incombustible gases being in place of the combustible air/fuel.
            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
            Latest nAst1 files here!
            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Working...
            X