Crank sensor removal in block gone bad please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank sensor removal in block gone bad please help

So the book says to remove the bolt and pull the sensor out. We tried to rotate it out but that did not work. What happened is the sensor pulled out far enough to expose the o-ring before the head of it broke off flush with the block. We then got out the die grinder and removed the plastic down to what seems to be a magnet (very hard) We then got out the ox acc torch to fracture the magnet with heat. With the first heating we got some small chunks to blow out with the air hose. The second heating ignited the unburned fuel and starting fluid (would not start) that was trapped in the crank case which blew off the oil filler cap, pcv valve and a smallish core casting plug (any ideas?) from somewhere. After a good laugh to ease the tension we decided to call it a night and request Expert Help from all you good people. We did try to push what is left into the crank case but it seems to be stopped by the crank 3/7 wheel? Any ideas why the sensor did not just pull out and how we might remedy our problem? Feel free to laugh with us as this one is going to be talked about for a long time!!!

JerryT

Try another magnet with the right polarity to attract it. Might work depending on how stuck it is. You may be able to pressurize the crank case a bit with compressed air through the valve cover grommet.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I've been in your position a few times, trust me when i say to just drop the pan and push it out from the inside. It'll take 20-30 minutes and it's also a good time to clean out the oil pickup screen and pan.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

This is a 94 camaro, can we just drop the pan? Is there room? Any tricks we shoud know?

Thanks
        JerryT

Comment

i haven't done it on a Camaro (yet) but i've done it on a Jbody a few times...

I'd imagine the K member would be in the way, if so then pull the bolts out of the motor mounts and jack the engine up a few inches for clearance. you'll probably have to remove the flexplate/flywheel cover and maybe the starter to get to the bolts on that side.
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Thanks Dave
            Do you have an idea where that freeze plug blew out from? It is about an 1 1/4", shiny on both sides. Also, why didn't that sensor just pull out? Do they swell from exposure to oil? I was not expecting an interference fit since it has an o-ring.

JerryT

Comment

If the case on the end around the magnet has cracked, which most likely it had, it would no longer be it's original diameter causing it to catch on the sides of the bore.
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by JerryT View Post
                Do you have an idea where that freeze plug blew out from? It is about an 1 1/4", shiny on both sides.
                Sounds like it may be the plug from the top of the oil pump drive. It is located in the top of the block at the rear of the lower intake manifolf.
                MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Working...
                X