Fuel Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Filter

Was readin up on it, seems simple enough, anybody got any tricks or things to watch out for, 3.1 Lumina LTZ, picutres maybe?

Lots of penetrating spray prior to trying to loosen any of the connection...
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

its def. not as easy as it sounds because of all the rust and crap, its frustrating
      Pontiac Fuel For Your Soul!

Comment

I had a hell of a time with mine, Took me about 4 days of trying. Was about to just cut it out and put it in a vice to get it off and then patch up the line afterwards but luckily it broke free.

Lots of liquid wrench. I gave it about 2-3 doses of the stuff a day for 4 days before it came loose. hopefully yours had been changed in the past, less rust build up if thats the case, mine was original to the 19yr old car.

You will probably need 2 people to get enough torque on it. One to hold the nut in place another to rotate the filter.
        I recommend rotating the filter in case the nut is rusted to the fuel line, Less chance of breaking the fuel line off.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeith View Post
          I recommend rotating the filter in case the nut is rusted to the fuel line, Less chance of breaking the fuel line off.
          THIS!

i about killed the line on the MC because i didn't do this. if need be, clamp down on the filter using vice grips or something similar, use a backing wrench on the fuel line nuts to keep it still, then you should be able to remove it without tweaking/crimping the fuel lines.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

ya i had it changed about 3 years ago, so i figured i'll throw a new one in it, so its been broke loose luckily, hopefully it will come out a little easier, good tip though with the turn the filter idea

Comment

Maybe even slide the nut back once the old one is off, and smear some anti-seize on the line where the nut sits, but not so sloppy you get it in the line. I use anti-seize in between rims/hubs all the time when I have one that doesn't want to come off. I'll clean the hub and inside of the rim with a flap wheel, then smear on some anti-seize. I usually never have a problem on that corner of the car ever again.
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
              X