3400 oil leak diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : 3400 oil leak diagnosis

I've got a 2004 LA1 in my Beretta that has about 20k on it that I've had since '06 when it had 4k. It is oily, and I just pulled the LIM to do the metal Fel-Pro gaskets as preventative maintenance and redo the lifter valley to hopefully fix the oil problem. With as good as the LIM was stuck I have a hard time believing that's where the leak was coming from, even though that's where it is the oiliest on both sides. It's also oily on the oil pan and the timing cover area.

I just did a search and see people have had issues with oil leaks and FFP pulleys, so that could explain the timing cover area and oil pan (and subframe). I'll replace the seal for that and hope it helps.

Right by the lifter valley is still oily on both sides, though. Dist o-ring? And the trans side of the oil pan too. Could the rear main be bad and getting the oil pan wet?

91 SS . 3400/5spd - S&S, TCE, EP, FFP, SPEC, DSS, K&N . GEARHEAD dezign

I cleaned the shit out of my engine before i parked it this winter.And mine did the same as last year wet on both sides of the oil pan.Being that my intake gaskets are new and rear main i think it's my oil pan gasket.Im going to replace mine onces the new trans is installed.So i don't mess up a new clutch.G/L woody

Comment

This little crap drives you crazy! Maybe I'll do the pan gasket too. With 20k on it the POS shouldn't be leaking at all...

Comment

I agree with you there.I'll be doing mine twice now and when i rebuild the engine.There is sealant from gm also gms.My friend jeff said it works great for intakes.

Comment

20k, but 6yrs of age... rubber doesn't last for ever.

When you do the oil pan gasket I've learned something... put NOTHING on it... Only put a dab of RTV on the two corners where the rear main cap meets the block, and the two where the timing cover matches up, I also trimmed off the excess timing cover gasket that was there to make the surface flat.

Every time I've RTV'd the whole pan gasket I've ended up with this.

This year it came out clean and dry... Only oil anywhere is from the AC compressor and a slight leak from my valve covers... But nothing to worry about..

Got Lope?
          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Did you use fel-pro or gm gasket jon??I was going to use a fel-pro for now then a gm after the build is finished.Im sure i have asked this before.LOL

Comment

Any other ideas about the lifter valley where it's wet on both sides? I don't think it was the LIM sealant.

Comment

Well, now it's all cleaned, detailed and full of fresh gaskets...hopefully it stays that way. I did the intake gaskets, oil pan, rear main, timing cover, crank seal, oil pump drive o-ring and also the cam sensor o-ring (w/some RTV for extra insurance).

Comment

Looks very nice

Comment

sweet looking motor!!

Comment

Can't wait for my header coating to come in and finish it off!

Comment

Working...
                      X