Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8L rebuild in a 1985 4x4 Blazer

Hey guys!

I have a 1985 S10 Blazer 4x4 with a 2.8L at 112,000 miles. The engine has been beat real hard because I used it as my daily driver in high school. Offroaded/mudded it almost weekly. (Although I did run full synthetic oil only).

So this summer, I'm looking to rebuild the motor before I bring the truck up to college with me. I'll probably pull the motor, send the heads off to a machine shop to be done, plane the block, clean up bore etc. Of course all this is merly guess work at the moment untill I actually take the motor apart and see what condition its in and determine what I need to do with it.

I'm not looking into an engine swap due to my lack of project time, funds, and I really just want a relieable, strong DD truck.

However, the one question I had was about the available rebuild kits. I've seen kits on ebay starting at like $290 all the way up to namebrand stuff at like $400. How should I know which kit I should settle for? Is it a "you get what you pay for" kind of market?

Also, let me know if it seems like I'm on the right track with my plans. I've built pre 1970's british car motors so I'm mechanically inclined, but I still consider myself a beginner.

Thanks guys!!

Don't bother. Buy yourself a 3.4L crate motor and slap the carb and intake on it maybe jump up a jet size and call it a day. It will run way harder than your 2.8L and it is literally a drop in for you. Everything is setup for a pre EFI truck on the crate engine. In the end the cost will be the same versus rebuilding your current engine. Plus you get the one piece seal on the rear that does not leak. Also everything is new.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Well, a crate motor is near $1900 so whats cheaper about it? Also, those aren't emmissions legal in California (although there are loopholes around this, its a last resort for me)

There are EFI 3.1L and 3.4L Camaro motors (1992 and 1994 respectively) at my scrapyard for like $800, but I dont know anything about the condition of these motors and I might have to rebuild it, so thats kind of a risky situation.

Comment

thats a bit much for the 3.4 camaro blocks, they are not exactly rare, nore are they sought after. Offer them $300 no warranty, just check over the motor good, and get it rebuilt, once its done, Then you just swap it in.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Yes, I thought about it alot last night, and thats pretty much what I was thinking. In my opinion, an $800 motor is a turn-key motor, on the spot. I can tell right now that neither of those motors are in that condition.

So I've been reading up alot on these 3.4l swaps, and I understand that the 3.4L motors have a serpentine belt setup, and a reverse flow water pump/timing cover to accomodate for that. now just to confirm; because different articles say different things...
          Would I end up having to swap the old 2.8 timing cover to the new motor so I can keep my 4x4 oil pan and vee belt setup?

Comment

Been there done that twice on my trucks. In the end the crate motor IS CHEAPER. Unless you take a chance on the core motor without rebuild. If you have a lack of time and funds then the Crate is a cheaper and safer bet in the long run. The crate motor will accept all of your current accessories it will look identical to your current motor. Unless an inspector really knows what he is looking for to tell the difference between a 2.8L and 3.4L block then you will fly through emissions as though you had a 2.8L.

Comment

I think betterthanyou is right on this one.
              The crate motor is a clean, reliable drop-in without the hassle of machine shop work and can be swapped out with very little down-time for your truck.
              sigpic
              "It's your car. Do with it what you wish, but as you enter this unknown world you will need to invent the wheel all over again. For the adventurous and those that are backyard mechanics who have nothing but time you might like this. Most have plenty of frustrating moments and the process usually takes significantly longer then what anyone could imagine. The end result of this conversion is completely up to you." - Jon McCullough of BMCautos.com

Comment

What about tha 4x4 oil pan and vee belt compatability on the crate motor?

It all sounds real fine, but I cant afford the $1900 right off the bat.

Comment

I'm betting since the crate motor was meant for the trucks, the 4x4 pan fits without modification.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                  91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                  92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                  94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                  Originally posted by Jay Leno
                  Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Yes the old pan fits perfect. The crate motor even has the front cover on the engine for V belt/standard rotation pump and the old pan lip. Your going to spend the $1900 one way or the other. It will be at one parts counter at one time or a bunch of parts counters after a hundred trips for different thing and a lot more gas money.

I built the engine for my Trooper from a core. Here is the build page. http://members.shaw.ca/isuzutrooper/isuzueng.htm all the prices I paid are listed with totals. Keep in mind I get preferred pricing on all my parts because a family friend is the manager of the parts store I go to.

The machinist I used wanted to supply the parts for me. I said sure if you can match the prices on the list I will buy everything from you. Some of the prices I was paying was below his cost. So if your buying all your own parts you might expect to pay more.

The Crate also comes with a great cam and valve springs which is a great addition.

If you go to my home page there is a swap guide there.

When I did the 3.4L swap in my S-10 I only did a hone and re ring and new bearings and re used everything like pistons and the crank without a grind. I had a valve job done and that was it. The work still cost me $1800 and that factors in selling my old complete motor for $500.

Comment

Good advice, good advice.

The 3.4l swap just keeps looking better and better.

As far as where to buy the actual crate motor from, where do you recomend? What else am I going to need as far as parts to get this baby in? Where would I get an TBI setup if I wanted to eventually ditch the carb?

Comment

Pace Performance has the crate engine here http://paceperformance.com/i-6255050...te-engine.html

crateenginedepot.com has it a few dollars cheaper at http://www.crateenginedepot.com/HT-3...230-P25C2.aspx

...and there's a used one here http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...6-Crate-Engine

I don't specifically endorse any of them, just thought I'd provide some choices
                        sigpic
                        "It's your car. Do with it what you wish, but as you enter this unknown world you will need to invent the wheel all over again. For the adventurous and those that are backyard mechanics who have nothing but time you might like this. Most have plenty of frustrating moments and the process usually takes significantly longer then what anyone could imagine. The end result of this conversion is completely up to you." - Jon McCullough of BMCautos.com

Comment

Oh goodness, that used one is quite tempting. He cant be serious about $135, and he doesnt ship anyways
                          Last edited by Baja Blazer 85; 04-17-2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he meant $135 for the headers.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Baja Blazer 85 View Post
                              Good advice, good advice.

The 3.4l swap just keeps looking better and better.

As far as where to buy the actual crate motor from, where do you recomend? What else am I going to need as far as parts to get this baby in? Where would I get an TBI setup if I wanted to eventually ditch the carb?
                              Well if you want the big bore TBI then I can sell you the hard parts all ready to bolt on. Then you can just grab a harness and distributor from a newer S-10. Everything will bolt right up to the engine. You will need 4.3L injectors and your ready to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X