Bypass filter for oiling test 3500 LX9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypass filter for oiling test 3500 LX9

I need to do tappet noise diagnose before removing pan. How do I bypass filter for a short term test?

Is the sender switch the best place to install pressure test gauge

/ What about the 1/4 pipe plug on the filter housing as a test port?
    Is there a illustration showing oil gallery schematic for 3500 LX9?

Are you just looking for a pressure port that is before the oil filter? I'm not sure why you'd ever want to bypass an oil filter...

The port that is on the front side of the block, and about half way between the oil filter and the transmission (usually where the sender/switch is installed) is before the oil filter. I don't recall there being any ports on the oil filter adapter. The port above the oil filter adapter mounting flange is after the filter (and a good source for feeding a turbo if one was in need of that).

Comment

I will replace the engine next week. The old one runs perfectly, even with the ticking, not knocking. Maybe I have a worn pump that causes the tappets to starve for oil. I will never know because it is way too difficult to pull the pan on this minivan. Do pumps get worn out at 120k? Somebody said the oil system is poor on gmv6. I had replaced the filter w a std one and 5W30. No fix.
      I hate to give up wo answers but I did buy the used car right and so to replace engine makes sense rather than fighting. If I could install an empty can instead of a filter it might have given me a direction for repairs, thinking that a little more flow would give the needed clue.

Comment

The oiling system in the gen3 660 is actually pretty good. Whoever told you otherwise is either not a fan of the gen1/2 oiling layout, or just doesn't understand oiling systems. The gen1/2 system wasn't a;; that bad either, but was a cam priority system, where as the gen3 became a crank priority system, with dedicated oil galleys for the crank and each lifter bank. The gen1/2 had only two lifter galleys, and one was shared to provide oil to the crank. I've personally never had an issue with oil distribution using the early 660s or the gen3s.

Like I said in your other thread, if you suspect the oil filter is restricting oil, replace it. The pressure drop through teh oil filter is very small, and flow remains pretty constant. Bypassing in anyway will not provide any useful data.

If it's a lifter tick, pulling the oil pan will provide no useful data either.

Lifter tick is usually from worn out lifters, not oil supply.

Comment

Working...
        X