3.4 Build Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 Build Help

Im building up a 3.4 out of a 95 Camaro and Im going to go with a turbo setup. Im somewhat new when it comes to choosing the correct parts for my application and need some help on what to get. Im looking to get high torque/HP without sacrificing too much reliability.

So far I have come up with forged racing pistons (.020 over) at 8.5:1CR, gapless rings, turbo grind cam, MSD 6A ignition box, MSD HEI coil, port the plenums, high capacity oil pump, corvette fuel pump, 24 lb/hr injectors and a custom re-programed ECM.

Does this seem to be exceptable? Is there anything that you would change or add? Thanks for the input guys!

-Mark

Personally I would run a std melling/PAW oil pump. If you wonder why , it is because the high pressure rob power , and the high volume suck up to much oil to the top end and it can cause scavenging.

Run full synthetic after break in , with std pump.

Consider upgrading the rod bolts.

Just my 2 cents.
    1992 Chevrolet S10
    2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

You'll deffinitely need bigger injectors than 24lb/hr as well. That's barely bigger than the stock injectors. Finding a place to re-program the ECM may be a problem. There aren't many places that program GM V6's. We don't enjoy the aftermarket support the V8 guys get, but there are a few who can do it depending on what type of computer you're using. You may be able to get away with using a piggyback fuel computer though. The cam might be difficult too. There are a limited number of aftermarket cams available for the older V6's, and none for the newer 3400, but there are more in developement right now. If you're really looking to turbo it and get high hp, you might consider looking for a bigger radiator to keep that bad boy cool. Good luck.
      '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
      '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
      13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
      Gotta love boost!

Comment

There are NO SFI cams avalible as far as I know. You may have to revert back to MPFI if you want a different cam.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I should probably explain my situation a little better...Im taking the 2.8 out of my Fiero and installing the 3.4 block and pan, everything else such as intake, heads, ect will be of the 2.8s.

Yes, the oil pump will be a Melling high capacity oil pump. As far as the ECM is concerned the company in which I am buying the turbo kit from has a specially programed chip, a 2 BAR MAP sensor as well as a knock sensor. They have recommended the Ford Motorsports 24lb/hr injectors. They are compatible electrically and mechanicaly both to the Fiero ECM and fuel rail. I'll also be running a 97 Corvette fuel pump. The camshaft is a custom grind cam made by Competition Cams (212* IN 212* EX @.050" Lift duration and .440" L IN @ .430" L EX. overall lift.) For the cooling, I found a company who specializes in V8 swaps for the Fiero, they offer big 4 core radiators.

I obtained these specs from the company who sells the Fiero turbo kit (for 2.8, 3.1 & 3.4 Fiero applications) and they are running 5.2 sec 0-60 times (not sure on 1/4 mile). Would I get more HP by lowering the suggested CR of 8.5:1 to 8:1 and run more boost? How much HP will the 3.4 handle?

Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciated!

-Mark

Comment

One guy has run his STOCK camaro 3.4L above 350hp and about 400lbs of torque.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Well, stock except for the big spooly thing attached to it. :P
              60v6's original Jon M.

Comment

Well, the 3.4 will handle a lot more power if you ditch the 2.8 intake and heads. The 3.4L stuff has a lot higher flow capacity. You could only do that if the turbo kit you want is compatible. You could probably modify it to work easy enough though. I would stick with the 8.5:1 CR. The only reason you'd need that low a CR is if you're going to be running high boost levels, and with that low a CR your off-boost power will really suffer. Going any lower will only make it worse. I don't think you'll be able to run that high a boost level though with those 24lb/hr injectors. I'm only running 9psi on my 3400 and the stock 22.5lb/hr injectors are maxed out already. I'm going up to 28lb/hr (to start anyway).
                Gotta love boost!

Comment

The 3.4 heads are the same as any other '86+ or H.O. 660 head.

24 lb/hr could support quite a bit of power, the key is tuning and getting the pulse width right, at higher RPM, though may be where you might want a larger injector due to less intake valve open time. I'd start with injectors on the small side, do some calculations to deteremine if there is any more time to have the injector open longer, and go from there.

Stock 3400 injectors are quite a bit smaller than 22 lb/hr BTW.

Comment

No actually, they aren't. I got the numbers directly from GM and delphi, and I also had them tested by RC engineering. My stock injectors are 22.5lb/hr. The injectors I'm going to use are from the inline six in the GMC envoy. They are 28lb/hr (also as tested by RC) and are the same size and use the same harness plug. According to the math on RC engineering's website, my stock injectors are already making more power at the crank than they should be capable of with an 80% duty cycle, and my air/fuel ratio goes into the upper 14's at redline, so I'm positive they are maxed out.
                    Gotta love boost!

Comment

Working...
                    X