cam options for a 3.4 iron head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam options for a 3.4 iron head

well i tried searching and found a lot of very confusing info, so i thought i'd just try a new thread.
    i've just bought a 3.4 iron head block out of a 95 camaro, it's getting rebuilt and i'm thinking of putting in a cam while doing that. i will be installing the engine in my auto fiero. so what i'm looking for is low end torque, and a lopey sound. i've done some research and found a few cams that appear suitable, but then i was told just go as big as you can. i'd imagine there would come a point where it would simply be too large for daily driving. also the descriptions seem to be that the larger the duration and lift, the higher up the power band shifts. this isn't what i want though. i rarely go over 100km/h, i have my fun with low end torque. so anyway i have a couple questions that i still don't fully understand:
    does getting a bigger cam mean the low end suffers? or just that the low end is improved, but ALSO the top end?
    does installing a cam rated for 8000+rpms make your engine capable of handling that much?(i would think know, but don't know a lot about how an engine works, rotating mass would play the biggest role in rpm limits, and the cam is definately rotating, so i'm not sure)
    how big do i need to go to get the lopey, sounds like your gonna stall sound, and how mild do i have to keep it so that i don't stall and driveability is reasonable?
    and lastly what do you think about the following cams, and info and experience would be GREATLY appreciated. keep in mind i'm looking for low end torque, and the lopey idle sound
    crower cams:

another crower:

oncrower:e more

compared to all the crane cams:

i couldn't find prices on the crower cams, the crane cams are around 300Us for the cam and lifter kit. doesn't appear that lifters are included with crowers. i was told the crane was NOT a good deal.

thank you all for any help

The links to thoose cams did not work.
    1992 Chevrolet S10
    2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

hmm, must be cause i searched for them. well i guess i've kinda found my answers elsewhere though. i'm looking at either a stage 2 crower cam, or a stage 3. the stage 2 suits my tranny better, but won't give me quite as lopey idle as i want. it will allow me do keep the rest of the build up cheaper though to, compression is lower etc. teh stage 3 will get me more hp, but a little less low end torque. it will give me the sound i want(i think), and i will need a little higher compression. it mentions a stall convertor as well, not sure if that's NEEDED, or advised. i'd like to not have to install one if possible. so have any of you used crower cams, what does the kit come with? what else do you need? how much was it? and how did you find the service and product? my plan b is the crane cams(that link should work) 272 cam. it's big enough to give me a lopey idle, but i can still get a usable rpm range that suits my tranny(th125 BTW)

Comment

What injection system are you using on this motor? Aftermarket cams do not usually support SFI because they lack provisions for a Cam POsition Sensor.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

using the stock fiero stuff. i was told i could basically go as big as i could find and wouldn't run into any computer issues. but i've found that mylimiting factor will most likely be rpm range which i want to keep low. so fuel is of no concern. just looking at what cam is a good quality product at a good price, what comes with the packages and what else is needed to use them, and if anyone has them installed how do they sound, and is the low end torque pretty good? i'm sure no matter what i use i won't see "much" improvement due to fiero intake, but i still want the sound, and maybe after the "stock look" wears off i could upgrade the intake and actually see the performance of the cam

Comment

Working...
          X