Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes the mount points changed (for my application atleast)

the back side mounts changed slightly, i had to oval the holes on my 3.1 mounts to fit.. the front ones are similar to the 3400 although the top 2 stick out slightly further and the bottom 2 aren't there..

lots of other cars use different points on the engine to mount to, anything that bolted to the timing cover would be the same with all 3x00's.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Anyone know about my car (Grand prix)?

I am supposed to pick the engine up tomorrow so I am kind of worried now.
      SpudFiles
      Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
      Theopia
      Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
      3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

Whats your motor mount on the side look like? You have a front dog bone on the head or something right? Do you have a lower one?
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Yes I have front/top dog bone mounts that go to the heads. As far as a lower/side one, I am not sure since I can not see anything. Where exactly should I look?
          SpudFiles
          Theopia
          Enjoy life online.

3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

Well the passenger side is the side to be concerned with since the drivers side it's bolted to the transmission and thats bolted to it's own mount.

I'd look down low by the craddle. Since you don't have a side mount, you should have something else down below I would assume...

EDIT: seems you have an anchor mount and maybe another mount somewhere.
            Last edited by IsaacHayes; 05-21-2007, 09:40 PM.
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Well regardless I'm getting the engine tomorrow, it'll go in there somehow :-/

Let me guess, the 3500 manifolds (the ones that turn down and go under the oil pan) won't fit, will they?
              SpudFiles
              Theopia
              Enjoy life online.

Comment

Dunno, you have a W body, so you have more room for the down pipe than J or L bodies do. I know on a J body you can use two FRONT mounts and it will work. You may be able to use them as is. And I've heard the manifolds can vary and be log style or header style on the 3500.
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

I've already seen the engine and they appear to be header style, their from an 04 Malibu. However it didn't look like it came with a crossover :-/
                  SpudFiles
                  Theopia
                  Enjoy life online.

Comment

That's cause the header style is like headers and doesn't have a cross over. They connect with a Y pipe under the car. You'd have to do something similar.
                    Original L82 Longblock
                    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Oh interesting...

I wonder if an exhaust shop would do it for me.
                      SpudFiles
                      Theopia
                      Enjoy life online.

Comment

I'd guess one could if they do custom stuff. Have them weld in an O2 bung where it Y's. Go with 2.5" exhaust and a high flow cat and a straight through muffler while you're at it....

Or you could put your O2 in the rear manifold but it would only read one bank.
                        Original L82 Longblock
                        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

did your exhaust manifolds come with flanges attatched? I need a couple front 3500 "header" manifold flanges. If it came wiht it, pics at least?

Cammed 3400 --> 224whp 210wtq
                          Cammed 3500 --> ???
                          1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

Got the engine today, here are the pics. They are full resolution to see details, so I am just going to link them.

SpudFiles
                            Theopia
                            Enjoy life online.

Comment

Great! You're going for it! Did you get a 2nd car to hot rod or are you doing it to your bright white? I'd defiantly get a DHP after you're done so you can fine tune it and get every last HP out of it.

I believe it was found out that the 3500 O2 sensors are not compatible with the older ECMs... So might want to re-use your old. It would be nice if you could use them though since they are so new..

No Oil? I hope they didn't write that on there because they cracked a hole in the oilpan!

Keep us updated with pics!!!
                              Original L82 Longblock
                              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

It has a 6 month warrenty so everything best work heh. It was $550, it's from a 2004 Malibu with 10k miles.

I bought a project car to do it to, another 96 white GP, but a 2 door. So I have 2 96 white GP's in my driveway.

Right now I am preparing to get everything I need. Will order everything very soon from the store here that I need. Also figuring out what special tools I will need. So far I know a valve spring compressor, and some sort of valve air hold thing that goes in the spark plug holes to keep valves from falling in when the springs come off.

What size of air hold tool would I need for these heads? Any recommendations?

Thanks.
                                SpudFiles
                                Theopia
                                Enjoy life online.

Comment

Working...
                                X