A/F ratio gauge on 96 3100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/F ratio gauge on 96 3100

Ok i put and auto meter narrow band A/F ratio gauge on my 96 beretta 3100. i hooked it to the purple wire of the o2 sensor. What happens is interesting. when you start the car, regardless if the engine is warm or not, the gauge reads lean for five minutes and dosent bounce like its suppose to. then after the five minutes it starts bounce stoich like it suppose to. now, if i drive the car in those fist five minutes the idle is up and down, it stalls, and it spudders when you are going. When the gauge is bouncing after five minutes if you drive it the gauge works and the car runs fine. now does anyone know wtf is going on here???

1996 Beretta
    3100 SFI TURBO
    T28 60 Trim Turbo at 9psi, Stage 1 turbo cam mms, lifter upgrade springs mms, P&P heads, ls6 Valve Springs, Ported exhaust manifolds, Hyperuetectic pistons SP, 3.29 trani, MSD 8.5 wires, open exhaust, Pulstar plugs, 3400 intake manifolds, ported TB, 36 lb/hr injectors, RCI Fuel cell, Walbro 255 pump, A/C Bypass, and much more.
    13.1 @ 103 mph best in the 1/4 mile

Did you splice into the O2 wire or just cut it off and connect straight to it?
    Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

i spliced it in, i cut the purple wire in half and the hooked the a/f ratio gauge wire in with both the halves so 3 wires go into a wire nut. yes the pruple wire stil has a connection from the o2 sensor to the ecu.

1996 Beretta
      3100 SFI TURBO
      T28 60 Trim Turbo at 9psi, Stage 1 turbo cam mms, lifter upgrade springs mms, P&P heads, ls6 Valve Springs, Ported exhaust manifolds, Hyperuetectic pistons SP, 3.29 trani, MSD 8.5 wires, open exhaust, Pulstar plugs, 3400 intake manifolds, ported TB, 36 lb/hr injectors, RCI Fuel cell, Walbro 255 pump, A/C Bypass, and much more.

Comment

Then you may of damaged the heater circuit in the O2 sensor. Did the car sputter and stall before installing the gauge?
        Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

A wire nut??

Wow get that out of there and solder the connection in with heat shrink.

Got Lope?
          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
            A wire nut??

Easier said than done, the o2 wire on my car wouldn't solder. The stock o2 is gone and replaced with a LC-1 anyways. My friend who solders electronics for a living said it was a special composition wire to resist heat.
            Links:
            WOT-Tech.com
            FaceBook
            Instagram

Comment

Ok then crimp it with a crimp connector, just not a wire nut... this isn't an "electrical" job, its electronics... two totally different things. Worse case use one of those wire taps, Thats what I'm using... its better than a wire nut. And you could also tap the harness and solder it in, if the sensor itself has special wire.

Got Lope?
              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Ok then crimp it with a crimp connector, just not a wire nut... this isn't an "electrical" job, its electronics... two totally different things. Worse case use one of those wire taps, Thats what I'm using... its better than a wire nut. And you could also tap the harness and solder it in, if the sensor itself has special wire.
                Yeah, I am unsure if the wire is the same beyond the connector that goes to the harness. I used a tap the first time, it worked fine.
                Links:
                WOT-Tech.com
                FaceBook
                Instagram

Comment

ok, if the a/f ratio gauge wire is hooked up with the o2 wire (still hooked to ecu) it spudders at first and after 5 min it runs fine. if i unhook the a/f gauge and reconnect the o2 wire (with the wire nut) its perfectly fine.

1996 Beretta
                  3100 SFI TURBO

Comment

Do you have the AFR guage grounded in the same place as the ECM (recommended)?
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

A wire nut??

A wire nut?? LOL that is amazing. if you don't at least crimp it and put heat shrink on it you are just asking for problems later on. corrosion etc that could be your problem right there, bad connection, or not.
                      95 Z26 3400/OBDII/GETRAG

Comment

Mines not grounded in the same place as the ECM and it runs fine, I bet the gauge signal wire is grounded somewhere causing a short.

Got Lope?

Comment

well it just started working right so idk i guess if it Fs up again ill post it

1996 Beretta
                          3100 SFI TURBO

Comment

Sounds like you've got a short or a break in the wiring. Solder or crimp everything up and use heatshrink with electrical tape over that to protect from water and corrosion. You don't want to be driving and then end up with a problem in the middle of no where.
                            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                            Original L82 Longblock
                            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Working...
                            X