3.2L Gen 2 Installed and Hauling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.2L Gen 2 Installed and Hauling

The 2.8 in the '89 Cutlass I bought in July was just tired....(and overly crusty) Well recently, Lorenzo (gpse3400) and I got around to getting the worked 3.1 into it. Many of you old timers would remember the block sitting in the maroon Grand Prix from the 1st 60V6 meet in Beech Bend. Lorenzo, Taylor (3100mpfi) and I fully rebuilt the engine before the end of 2003 with, among other things, Gen 1 3.1 pistons .030 over from Sealed power for 12:1 compression, premium rings, bearings etc etc, and Crane H272 camshaft, FFP chip I had from my old engine which was good to add more fuel than stock (and higher idle), stock airbox, unported intake and 52mm throttle body. I've been driving it almost every day, about 1200 miles on it now and it's remaining reliable and predictable just as a Gen 2 3.1 is, and I now have a car that gets out of its own way. I ran solid Gtech 1/4 mile times of 15.8. Compared to the 17's I got out of other 3.1's, I couldn't be happier. A big thanks to Lorenzo for helping with everything and making the entire buildup possible!!
    Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
    3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
    Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
    2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
    TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

shot of it on the stand
    Brian

3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
    2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB

Comment

lotsa fun.
      Taylor
      1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
      1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
      1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
      1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
      "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

When's that sound clip gonna show up, Brian?
        Robby Whitesell
        2006 Pontiac G6 GT
        1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

congrats, im sure you'll love it.

throw on the 3100 style heads and intakes for even more fun!
          hey, i've even got the code to run it!
          I modify stuff

Comment

Thanks! I do have the '97 3400 van TB, upper and lower intake, '00 3400 heads, W-body timing cover and P/S pump sitting around for the time that I'm ready for the gen 3 hardware (I'd still need more, like misc lines and cables) but that would more than likely be installed after the meet, or in the fall. I aim to represent gen 2 w-body
            Brian

3400 SFI V6, 4T60e

Comment

oh yeah, soundclip? I would, but I have Lumina dual trashcan mufflers that mute practically every note out the back....so maybe a microphone under the hood? I dunno
              Brian

3400 SFI V6, 4T60e

Comment

Originally posted by Rhedalert
                oh yeah, soundclip? I would, but I have Lumina dual trashcan mufflers that mute practically every note out the back....so maybe a microphone under the hood? I dunno
                LOL

That's what they are.....

Taylor
                1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
                1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
                1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
                1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
                "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Hows it sound? Smooth as silk, even more refined with those oil drum lumina mufflers. I will also say that when you romp on the gas at low speed the intake wales. There are a few other designs and techniques implemented to make it operate the way it does. Still need some more hardware (mostly a bigger TB which should do a number on this motor) and tuning. GEN 2 can work better, it might not be the revver like the GEN 3 but it gets you out of the way, it can make HP, and with the right gearing, it will suceed....just need to know what to mess with(typical of building any HiPo motor really..).... Yeah my old motor is very much alive and is doing ok....It is so much happier in his car than it was in my Maroon car though, I'll give that I do have to thank Gpxss for suggesting to me the the path to follow back when it was in service in the Maroon car.
                  Lorenzo
                  '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                  '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

Mmmm... I need to do that.
                    60v6's original Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                    X