Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.9L LZ9 engine internal upgrade & performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Variable Length runners on the 3900 - What state are the runners in with no power supplied?

Comment

• from what i can tell, have been told, they're not actually variable length.... the variable portion of the intake is plenum volume. seems that the plenum can be divided into two equal portions, one for each bank of the engine, or combined into a single large plenum.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

• pretty sure in a performance oriented setup you want the wide open 3.5 LZ4 plenum with none of the variable junk.... You can port the hell out of them for maximum top end... My 3900 camaro makes gobs of power.
        11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
        10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

• what about these mahle pistons?

Performance Automotive Parts from Accel Billet Edelbrock MSD VDO. JEGS is the source for performance parts with Same Day Shipping.

Mahle LS1340898F04

Forged 4032 High Silicone Low Expansion Aluminum Alloy
          Bore: 3.898''
          Pin Diameter: .945''
          -4cc Dome Volume
          Comp. Ratio @64cc: 10.4:1
          Precision Ring Grooves for Included 1.5, 1.5, 3.0mm Rings

Compression Height: 1.340
          Weight: 394g

From the specs posted by nated4, if those are correct then it appears this pin diameter is real close, as well as the compression height.

Can someone do the math to see if these are down in the bore too far or up too high with a factory head gasket?

Comment

• ^ Yes, someone look at this.
            11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
            10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

• I am going to assume that everything is blueprinted to spec to do the math on these mahle pistons.

3.31 stroke /2 = 1.655

+ 5.9 rod

+1.34 CH of piston =

The deck height specs are listed as 8.818 which means these pistons would stick up out of the block .077

To get a 0 deck height you would need a CH of 1.263

Now the piston pin diameter for the mahle is .945 and factory piston pin diameter is .942-.943.

It might be possible to shave that .077 off the top of the piston, machine the piston pin down .001.

Of course now to factor in the CR you would have to use 4cc or less since the piston is shaved.

This would net you a zero deck height. If the gasket is .070 when compressed( I have never measured) then that would give a quench of .070

A quick online CR calc states roughly a 12.7:1 Compression ratio with these pistons
              Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2013, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• I think I measured my stock gasket at .053" compressing it with the caliper. However you can order shim gaskets to whatever thickness or buy a spare gasket and remove the rivets and re-stack them.

Check out diamond racing they may have a set of LS pistons that are 'semi-custom' thats what I did for my LZG build. You can use modified buick V6 rods on the stock 3.5/3.9L cranks. I think the buick rods need to be narrowed slightly. The bearing diamters are within .0002" of each other if you compare the tolerances from Clevite. The main problem with most buick rods I've found is that they aren't the right length.

Comment

• Originally posted by NateD4 View Post
                  I think I measured my stock gasket at .053" compressing it with the caliper. However you can order shim gaskets to whatever thickness or buy a spare gasket and remove the rivets and re-stack them.

Check out diamond racing they may have a set of LS pistons that are 'semi-custom' thats what I did for my LZG build. You can use modified buick V6 rods on the stock 3.5/3.9L cranks. I think the buick rods need to be narrowed slightly. The bearing diamters are within .0002" of each other if you compare the tolerances from Clevite. The main problem with most buick rods I've found is that they aren't the right length.
                  the buick rods are a tad on the narrow side for a LX9, I would imagine the same is true for the LZ engines.
                  "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• Originally posted by NateD4 View Post
                    I measured my stock gasket at .053" compressing it with the caliper.
                    Very scientific.
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

• I know this is almost 7 years old, but what ever happened to the engine? ever run? dyno?
                      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Working...
                      X