Cam question RWD blazer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam question RWD blazer

I got a really stupid question that I been thinking about and it kinda makes sense to me but figured I'd run it my some of ya'll that know more than I do.

I'm building a 3.4 for my blazer 4x4 that will see more street time than mud so I'm prolly gonna stick with the factory camaro cam. I've gasket matched the heads, intake, gonna run headers into a single exhaust, and 4.3 TB (all the normal mods). I plan on putting 31s on it and it does see some minor offroad, I just don't plan on keeping it at 5k racing on the track like some of you guys do. I know the Iron heads are our biggest flaw on RWDs but from my understanding its mainly on the intake side and not so much the exhaust. In our v8 s-10 we have had good luck running mixed ratio rockers (1.5 and 1.6) so the question I got is has anybody tried or even thought about running 1.6s on the intake and 1.5s on the exhaust?

From what I can tell this is gonna do one of two things. It will hold the intake open a hair longer allowing more in helping HP, or its gonna dump too much in and not let enough out and hurt economy.

Am I just nuts thinking about this and just run all the same?
    87 3.4 4x4 blazer
    3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Running different ratios has been discussed several times, especially on the alum heads. I think the only way you would really know how much it would help would be to get the heads flowed, then have someone simulate the power gains by different rocker configs. I know Ben and John both have the ability to do the simulations, but I'm pretty sure they need head flow data in order to do it accurately. Not sure if either of them have stock iron head data or not.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

You would get far more value (read: horsepower) on your dollar if you invest in a cam. Since your not running at 5K+ then the COMP 252 cam will offer great torque above and below 3000RPM. It is a single pattern cam so if you want to play with rocker ratios and cam timing it is the best kind of cam to do it on. If your rebuilding then the whole K kit is just over $300 and it includes the cam, lifters, timing set, springs, retainers, locks, seals and lube. You really can't go wrong. If you want to mix some rockers you can buy a set of their Magnum Rockers in 1.5 and 1.6 ratio at under $150 a set they are cheap and have a roller tip they come with pivot balls and locking nuts.

I have the stock L32 cam in my S-10. And while the truck moves alright I know there is a lot more potential even if it just has iron heads.
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I already got the heads rebuilt but thanks on suggesting the kit. I was gonna go that route but I had a spare set of heads and had almost gave up on a 3.4. I was to the point of working over one set and rebuild a 2.8 into a 3.1 but lucked out.

I was just asking about the rockers cause the local speed shop offers kits for a v8 (I know I'll have extras left over) in a split set. Chances are I'll just run the 1.6s with the L32 cam and leave it at that.
        87 3.4 4x4 blazer
        3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

Working...
        X