New How to for iron head guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New How to for iron head guys

I have written a how to for removing the A.I.R. Pump on 2.8L engines. I have done it to both my Trooper and S-10. On my Trooper it was simple to do because the donor engine is actually a Rodeo 3.1L and as rodeo owners know they don't have A.I.R. and the passenger side manifold does not have a big hole to plug. On my S-10 I ran the A.I.R. system on my 3.4L for years and it worked fine but I am getting in gear to do some engine work and the A.I.R. system is not in the plans. So in order to remove it I utilized the Rodeos 3.1L tensioner and plugged the hole in the manifold.

So anyway for you 2.8L Trooper or S-10 owners take a look its pretty easy and might be a good way to go if your A.I.R pump is making horrible noises or completely seized. This might apply to early Camaro's but I have never seen if they have a belt driven pump or not. I know the late model ones used electric pumps.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

2.8/3.1 fbodies had the pump. I bypassed mine (1990 model) by re-routing the belt, so yes, this applies at least through 1990 (not sure if the 91-92 models have the electric pump).
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

my diagrams are showing a belt driven pump for 92 F-body 3.1...
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Canadian cars dont have air pumps
        Last edited by bob442; 02-02-2010, 10:18 AM.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Then 93 to 95 Camaro's with the 3.4L got the electric pump.

Comment

You just taped off the electrical plug and it doesn't throw a code? Hows the popping through the exhaust when you let off the gas now?

I been looking at mine thinking I was gonna ditch it when the 3.4 goes back in the blazer for awhile.
            87 3.4 4x4 blazer
            3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

Just pulled the ribbed pulley info up and on rock auto its

ACDELO 38009 and $14.03
              87 3.4 4x4 blazer

Comment

No it won't throw a code. And there is no difference in the exhaust

Comment

Digital EGR will throw a code, my Bird's light would come on for a minute after a highway drive then going back to cruising.
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

Comment

The AIR system should not throw a code since the ECM has no way of detecting it is active since it goes into bypass mode and just circulated air back to the atmosphere when in closed loop. But maybe the later model more sophisticated ECM's run a test to see if its doing anything. But you can easily check before you do the removal by unplugging it for a few days.

Comment

SWEEET
                      I know ill be doing this soon.
                      Originally posted by Mars
                      Haha ^ Wrong Wheel Drive.
                      S10 Blazer 4.3, turbo LX9 in its future...
                      No 60šV6 at the moment

Comment

I got the new ribbed pulley in the mail today and modded my tension pulley tonight.

Still cleaning and painting parts for the engine but its ready to go back together without the A.I.R. This weekend I have to pressure wash and paint the engine bay then the engine is going in.
                        87 3.4 4x4 blazer

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
                          The AIR system should not throw a code since the ECM has no way of detecting it is active since it goes into bypass mode and just circulated air back to the atmosphere when in closed loop. But maybe the later model more sophisticated ECM's run a test to see if its doing anything. But you can easily check before you do the removal by unplugging it for a few days.

I'm sorry, I said digital EGR, but the AIR was also integrated into the ECM and connected to the harness. There is a way to jump the wires so the ECM thinks the pump is there, but I never removed the pump itself and just left it plugged in and used a shorter belt.
                          Links:
                          WOT-Tech.com
                          FaceBook
                          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            I'm sorry, I said digital EGR, but the AIR was also integrated into the ECM and connected to the harness. There is a way to jump the wires so the ECM thinks the pump is there, but I never removed the pump itself and just left it plugged in and used a shorter belt.
                            something like a 6 ohm resistor may work perfectly into fooling the ECM...
                            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                            Latest nAst1 files here!
                            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I removed the AIR in the 92 and I don't believe I ever did anything with it in the ECM and mine never set a code for it.

Look ma! No AIR injection tubes!
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                              Originally posted by Jay Leno
                              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                              X