Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting my Fiero running again... suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting my Fiero running again... suggestions?

Hey guys,

Years ago, I rebuilt the 2.8 in my Fiero into a 3.1. The motor ran well, but everything else in the car started to fail... so I parked it. It's been sitting in my garage for years and years, and now I'm looking to get it back on the road. I'm rebuilding EVERYTHING else on the car too, but when it comes to the motor, I'm trying to decide what to do.

The motor is a 2.8 with 3.1 crank and rods and a set of sealed power .030 overbore pistons.

As per the engine builder and the supplier of the parts (ARI), it was determined that my compression would be roughly 9.2:1. I'm also told that it's more like 3.2 liters of displacement.

Now, the problem my motor had BEFORE I parked it was this: (see video)

The video is huge, sorry. Basically what is / was happening is that the motor when FIRST started, would idle fine. As the engine warmed up, the engine would hesitate and the idle would drop, and I'd hear rattling. I don't think it's an engine bearing failure since at normal RPM, the engine sounds totally smooth. My guesss is that maybe this sound is pre-detonation or something? I really have no idea.

What I later discovered is that the spark plugs facing forward (transverse) are completely rusted. Two of them are rusted really badly. They have less than 1,000 miles on it, but allowing it to sit outside for a few years and not being driven apparently took it's toll.

I'm wondering if you guys have any idea what this sound is... and if you think it's worth it for me to just go find a low mileage 3.4 in the junkyard, or get this 3.2 cleaned up.

I have a brand new H272 cam that I plan on putting in the engine (with new flat tappet lifters, new springs, retainers, etc...).

By the way, my 3.2 has less than 3,000 miles on it... it ran fine, honestly... it's just that the more it sat, the worse it got. Again, I don't think it's a bearing issue since the apparent deterioration of the motor occured through having the motor sit, unused... as apposed to increased mileage driven.

I don't know if it's a distributor problem or what... but I rebuilt the distributor too. I'm completely going through the entire car at this point, starting from the front to the back, and when I get to the engine, I'd like to have a plan.

If you guys don't mind listening to the video to let me know... I'd appreciate it. As you'll notice, the sound isn't consistent. It only appears when the idle drops...

Thanks!

Todd
    1987 Fiero SE / V6

I am restoring a fiero too and this is my advice to you, get a 3400 from a running car and mod if you want, you will make a LOT more power then the 2.8/3.4 iron heads. And those engine are so old its not worth the money your putting in. did you know a 3500 make 200+ hp stock? that will cost you a lot less then sinking more money into this engine.
    Mike 60degree addict.
    Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
    sigpic
    65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

Originally posted by mickaz View Post
      I am restoring a fiero too and this is my advice to you, get a 3400 from a running car and mod if you want, you will make a LOT more power then the 2.8/3.4 iron heads. And those engine are so old its not worth the money your putting in. did you know a 3500 make 200+ hp stock? that will cost you a lot less then sinking more money into this engine.

You are 100% correct... the only thing is, I'd really like to keep the Fiero looking totally stock.

Just to tell you how neurotic I am about it... I painted my yellow Accel 17lb injectors and my yellow 40k volt Accel ignition coil black with Duplicolor engine paint so that it would look totally stock...

I'm just trying to get the most power from it that I can, without changing out the intake plenum. I realize of course the plenum in the Fiero (the neck, specifically) is the biggest restriction... but if I can get 185hp, I'll be pretty happy.

I just want to break into the 14s when the planets align...

But most importantly, I want to fix it... heh...

Comment

Hey Todd,
        A good first step would be check the fuel pressure. The pumps go bad in cars that sit around. I had a Fiero with the a similar problem.
        If you have the original ECU the cold start injector could be causing a problem. Try unpluging it at the thermo switch.
        If neither of those things are the problem I would look to ignition. Did you put a new HEI module in the distibutor? I always kept a spare one in the trunk when I had the distributor ignition. Use a Delco one. The Wells ones are questionable. The engine sounds like the timing is getting advanced to much or it's cross firing.

-Tim
        Last edited by 74Spit; 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I would suggest for starters that you purchase a stethoscope and with go over the entire engine (top side & bottom) slowly to narrow down where the knock is originating from. It sounds on the heavy side...Is that a manual or auto trans?...can't tell what the bare shifter is thru the passenger door glass. Was your rebuild a complete machining rebuild?.
          91 LQ1 GP GT

Comment

Could the valves not be lashed correctly? lifter never pumped up?
            When you rebuilt was the cam or lifters replaced?
            After all these years parked did you change fuel filter? Could be pinging like you said but that would be some severe fuel shortage to do it at idle.
            Gas will varnish and seperate after so long (less than a year sometimes) and it will varnish your lines,pump etc..
            You can sometimes just seafoam the crap out of pump and free it up to spin,fill the new fuel filter up with seafoam before installing also to clean varnish from the lines and injectors.

Comment

Working...
            X