THM 440T4 to Getrag 5 Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THM 440T4 to Getrag 5 Speed

any ideas as to how hard this would be and how to go about it?

i'm assuming you're talking about a W? it's been done before. if it's an early enough car, then the firewall MAY have all of the necessary mods done to it already.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

no, it's an "A" body, 1988 celebrity. it's also a column shift soo.. what to do there, any ideas?
      Last edited by sakujo_kaji; 03-25-2010, 12:04 PM.

Comment

celebrity is an A car... though there were 5 speed celebrities in at LEAST in 1987, so i wouls suspect there were 88 models with the option as well. junkyards may still have a few left, it would be a great source of info/parts/pictures of how things are supposed to look.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

sorry, i don't know why i said "W" body. would i have to convert it to buckets with a console to be able to shift it? if you didn't see my edit it's a 1988 celeb.

Comment

a console would be the cleanest way to do it, but i imagine it would be possible to make a setup that looks like the manual trans trucks from the late 80s-early 90s and just cut a hole in the floorpan, boot around the ugliest parts of the shifter and call it a day.

but i would take a look at pics of a 5 speed A-car and see how it was done from the factory. i don't think a bench seat would work well here unless you tore it open and modified a section of it to allow full range of movement for the shifter.
            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

yeah that's what i was thinking, unless u used like the rat rod shifter that's 4 feet long and i could bend it around the dash.

Comment

They made the Citations, Omegas, Skylarks that had manual trannies with and without a console so yes you can do it with a bench seat. The A and Xbody floor structure was almost identical. The shifter for a non console car sat forward a little further and had a curved handle. I'll have to dig out my 81 Omega brochure that has pics of both. I have a non console floor shifter I may not use but first I need to get back out to the yard that has a console shift assembly before I'll let it go.

Comment

Working...
                X