Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ow-20 synthetic too thin for 3500Turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Ow-20 synthetic too thin for 3500Turbo?

I have a supply of Toyota brand Ow-20 synthetic that I've acquired through work. I'm just wondering if this oil is going to cause any issues with the 3500 or my turbo. The turbo is rebuilt. The engine doesn't leak a drop and I've been running 5w-30 mobile1. I can also get this oil at a very good price since I work at a Toyota dealership.

Maybe I can get more mpg's running this also. It really makes a difference in the 2010 prius. Haha! My Fiero may have unexpected acceleration though... lol!

-Joseph

1987 Fiero SE/Fastback - 3500 Turbo / OBD1 / '92 FWD Getrag 282

i wouldn't run 20 weight oil... true, it takes less power to move, therefor a fuel economy increase, but you could be seriously shortening the life of your engine...

however, you could mix it with some, say 5W-30 and then i would call it acceptable.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Your engine has to be setup for 20w use. I don't have a problem with the cold vis. being 0, but 20 for hot vis isn't going to cut it for your V6. Believe it or not, I would recommend using euro spec 0-40 for your setup.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Originally posted by 86FieroSEv6 View Post
        Your engine has to be setup for 20w use. I don't have a problem with the cold vis. being 0, but 20 for hot vis isn't going to cut it for your V6. Believe it or not, I would recommend using euro spec 0-40 for your setup.
        damn, i didn't even know they made 0-40... not a cheaper sythetic obviously...
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Good point, but oil at any price is cheaper than an engine. 0-40 is made by several different manufacturers, just look for "euro-spec" and don't be afraid to call the VW dealer down the street for price, then check on AMSOIL and I believe Castrol makes one too. The euro-spec oil is especially formulated to avoid sludge buildup which was a problem for VW for a while which is why I like it.

Comment

Good point, but oil at any price is cheaper than an engine. 0-40 is made by several different manufacturers, just look for "euro-spec" and don't be afraid to call the VW dealer down the street for price, then check on AMSOIL and I believe Castrol makes one too. The euro-spec oil is especially formulated to avoid sludge buildup which was a problem for VW for a while which is why I like it.
            Maybe Chrysler should have looked into that for their 3.5l V6 I think it was...
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Most heavy duty (aka Semi-truck, Kenworth, Peterbilt etc) places will carry 0W40 diesel oil. Standard oil for heavy duty engines is 15W40 and the full synthetic is 0W40. I'm guessing it would probably be cheaper then buying "euro spec" oil too. I know that the new diesel oils are CJ-4 spec "low ash" aka low emissions oil, but I'm not sure about their sludge characteristics.

Comment

Originally posted by discostu View Post
                Most heavy duty (aka Semi-truck, Kenworth, Peterbilt etc) places will carry 0W40 diesel oil. Standard oil for heavy duty engines is 15W40 and the full synthetic is 0W40. I'm guessing it would probably be cheaper then buying "euro spec" oil too. I know that the new diesel oils are CJ-4 spec "low ash" aka low emissions oil, but I'm not sure about their sludge characteristics.
                I wonder if the new diesel oils have zinc still...
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                Originally posted by Jay Leno
                Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Nyet . . . . if there is any zinc at all it is in such low concentrations as to be useless. I protect my rods by putting a bottle of synthetic Lucas oil treatment in with the oil. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                    I wonder if the new diesel oils have zinc still...
                    from what i understand, they CAN have more than the SL(?) gasoline oils we have now...
                    Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                      from what i understand, they CAN have more than the SL(?) gasoline oils we have now...
                      It's on SM now.
                      Search on www.bobistheoilguy.com they have all the best information about oil properties such as particle counts.

Comment

There is no reason you cannot run 20 weight oil. The engine type does not designate the oil you must run. The way you build the engine will determine what engine oil you will need to run to maintain protection. If you build a tight motor with a good oil system then go ahead and run 20 weight oil. Hell if a stock 3X00 maintains good oil pressure at hot idle then it would run just fine on a quality 20 weight oil.

For a good example plenty of guys in the engine masters challenge were running 0W20 oil on what most would consider "old iron" but they ran tight bearing clearances thin ring packs and employed good oil control and pumps.
                        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

^^^ this ^^^

After years of running Valvoline racing 50, I finally convinced by buddy to move to a multi vis synthetic and he came back grinning from ear to ear about the power increase.

Comment

Working...
                          X