Building a better flowing intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a better flowing intake

Hey guys, so recently i've been trying to identfy the weak points of the 95 camaro 3.4l and i've came across that the intake, heads, ect are not the best flowing things ever. so i have decided i would like to try and fix this problem with building an intake designed specifically for my application. any help with identifing the design flaws with the current intake and perphaps provide some helpful tips to better increase flow would be much appreciated.
    if it helps with brainstorming lets imagine that this camaro wont have a bonnet so clearence issues shouldnt impact design to much.

Thanks for any tips, info Jeff

theres a really good design out there... its off of a 3500 or 3400 SFI 00+, bolt on application.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

GM did all the work for you, look up the 3500 LX9.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

thanks for the quick response! Would it make more sense to purchess a 3500 then as a doner and just use the parts to rebuild my current 3.4l? what else would be interchangable, heads?

Comment

Use the entire top end from the 3500 and block/rotating assy from the 3500.
          Links:
          WOT-Tech.com
          FaceBook
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Use the entire top end from the 3500 and block/rotating assy from the 3500.
            Uh... use the block/rotating assy from the 3.4...
            sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
            - Ben

Comment

Originally posted by carbon View Post
              Uh... use the block/rotating assy from the 3.4...
              LOL! Yeah that's what I was thinking, even if it was typed wrong...
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

someone throw up some pics for this guy of a 3400/3500 in a RWD application

Comment

Done... back in mockup stage. 3500/700R4 in a 89 Camaro.

Past Builds;
                  1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                  1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                  Current Project;
                  1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

we are probably blowing this guys mind telling him that a top end made in 2006 will bolt ontop of his block lol!

Comment

thanks for the pics! somewhere on this forum i read about a problem with the timing cover... anyone know anything about that. do i get gaskets for the 3500 block or for the 3.4?
                      are the new heads going to lower/raise the compression ratio? thanks for all the quick responses guys.

also will i have a problem using the same headers. i know they will be a restriction, if i wont beable to any clue who makes a set that will work with my camaro?
                      Last edited by Big_Jeff; 12-21-2011, 05:15 PM.

Comment

What about compression numbers? The older Gen3 heads on cast iron (3.4) pistons supposedly yielded high compression. The 3400 and 3900 I have both appear to have this issue as well since the chambers are small.

Comment

i cant que you in on the exact CR of iron head block with 3500 heads, but the 3500 heads have a slightly larger chamber than the 3400 that usually drops the CR .46, your headers should bolt right up, and i dont recall any issues with the RWD timing cover. if you are putting a 3500 top end on your motor, you will want 3500 gaskets, how ever if you went with MLS gaskets you can change you quench a bit if its too high. I'm sick as a dog right now and my memory is lacking on the iron head info, how ever, i have nothing to do, and that i can do so i'll snoop around the site, should be easier to navigate and find what i'm after with Brads small improvment

EDIT:So i played with the CR calculator and got 11.5:1 CR with a .060" head gasket and 3500 heads, and that is pretty awesome!

Why didnt i just get iron head pistons and 3500 heads?
                          Last edited by bob442; 12-21-2011, 07:17 PM.

Comment

~11.5 thats not to bad! for tuning i"m going to either downgrade to obd 1 or have to go to a standalone correct? i'm making a checklist of everything... for injectors is an upgrade needed?

Comment

I would swap to obdii, rather get a harness from a 96 camaro or modify one from a 00+ w body ie-monte impalla, there basically setup the same
                              As for parts that you need just strip a motor at a wrecker and take everything with you, injectors fuel rail and all
                              Last edited by bob442; 12-22-2011, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X