3400 LNJ upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400 LNJ upgrades

Ok I had to drop the engine out of my Fiero to fix a transmission leak and since I recently graduated with a BSME, why not treat myself to some performance mods.

So I contacted Ben at WOT tech and within my limits (keep motor disassembly to a minimum because of low miles), he suggested the Strip cam with the Comp 26926 valve springs and the custom length pushrods. Then to upgrade my fueling from the 3100 injectors, I got the 28# injectors from a Trailblazer.

Still need to find the connectors for the injectors and I'll probably be switching over to an upper intake from an Alero (the one on there from a van was purely a cosmetic decision) and maybe delete the Fiero air filter canister for a cone filter. Getting the PCM tuned in person (Sinister Performance) for the modifications.

So far the car has been running with a 98 Monte PCM, fuel rail and injectors, Van cable driven throttle, external crank trigger and added the 24x sensor, and coil pack setup from an LA1. "Trueleo" headers with 2.5" collectors, no cat to a West Coast Fiero "cat back" with the Spintek muffler. EGR delete, rear O2 delete, EVAP not programmed correctly, and AC pump attached but the lines not hooked up yet.

Any completely generic ideas on the power I might gain? Of course I plan on getting a dyno result once I feel the car is ready, but until then I'm curious. People always ask how much power I'll gain and I have no clue.

Originally posted by Kaiju Senso View Post
    Ok I had to drop the engine out of my Fiero to fix a transmission leak and since I recently graduated with a BSME, why not treat myself to some performance mods.

So I contacted Ben at WOT tech and within my limits (keep motor disassembly to a minimum because of low miles), he suggested the Strip cam with the Comp 26926 valve springs and the custom length pushrods. Then to upgrade my fueling from the 3100 injectors, I got the 28# injectors from a Trailblazer.

Still need to find the connectors for the injectors and I'll probably be switching over to an upper intake from an Alero (the one on there from a van was purely a cosmetic decision) and maybe delete the Fiero air filter canister for a cone filter. Getting the PCM tuned in person (Sinister Performance) for the modifications.

So far the car has been running with a 98 Monte PCM, fuel rail and injectors, Van cable driven throttle, external crank trigger and added the 24x sensor, and coil pack setup from an LA1. "Trueleo" headers with 2.5" collectors, no cat to a West Coast Fiero "cat back" with the Spintek muffler. EGR delete, rear O2 delete, EVAP not programmed correctly, and AC pump attached but the lines not hooked up yet.

Any completely generic ideas on the power I might gain? Of course I plan on getting a dyno result once I feel the car is ready, but until then I'm curious. People always ask how much power I'll gain and I have no clue.
    You might gain 20-25 whp from the cam, injectors, upper intake swap, & tune.

The power should be more aggressive and hold out longer, so the number increase in power is not a completed measurement of efficiency. You have to factor in the ability to sustain the added power and how soon it comes alive out of the gate.
    A vehicle that has 400 hp could potentially be slower than a car with 300 hp if certain factors are incorporated.. Such as, availability of power/torque.
    If the higher horse engine is slowly or making low power (200hp) until its short burst at 6500 to 7000 rpm's where it hits it target 400hp versus the 300 hp car making 90% power starting at 3000rpm's and peaking from 5500+ its 300hp. That 300hp car would be as fast or faster than the 400hp car.

I was bored.
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
      You might gain 20-25 whp from the cam, injectors, upper intake swap, & tune.

The power should be more aggressive and hold out longer, so the number increase in power is not a completed measurement of efficiency. You have to factor in the ability to sustain the added power and how soon it comes alive out of the gate.
      A vehicle that has 400 hp could potentially be slower than a car with 300 hp if certain factors are incorporated.. Such as, availability of power/torque.
      If the higher horse engine is slowly or making low power (200hp) until its short burst at 6500 to 7000 rpm's where it hits it target 400hp versus the 300 hp car making 90% power starting at 3000rpm's and peaking from 5500+ its 300hp. That 300hp car would be as fast or faster than the 400hp car.

I was bored.
      Ya I get that and all but that's harder to explain to someone who isn't car savvy. Thanks for the input, I'm looking forward to seeing how the car feels with the cam.

Comment

any updates for us?
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
          any updates for us?
          Of course! Just a little behind because of my Baja competition.

Only got the cam in during this round of pictures. Been working on the valve springs this last weekend and need to upload those pictures. Got the gasket kit and my reprogrammed PCM back, just waiting on my replacement transmission...

Comment

A few valve spring pictures. I used the compressed air in the cylinder trick so I didn't have to pull the heads.

Comment

That ring gear doesn't look too happy. >.<

I've read coiling some rope in the cylinder through the spark plug hole and running the piston up the cylinder till the rope is tight against the head works well too.

On a side note, where did you get that drip pan for your engine stand and what did you pay for it?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                That ring gear doesn't look too happy. >.<

I've read coiling some rope in the cylinder through the spark plug hole and running the piston up the cylinder till the rope is tight against the head works well too.

On a side note, where did you get that drip pan for your engine stand and what did you pay for it?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2
                No idea on the pan, we've had it forever at the shop I work(ed) at.

More pictures from today, starting my new job this week so probably will have to wait until Saturday to finish the motor and mount the trans to it.

Does anyone know about a pilot bearing to install on the crank when switching an automatic to a manual? My boss mentioned it might be why the trans broke.

Comment

I don't think the fiero four speed uses a pilot bearing, I don't think the input shaft is long enough.
                  "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

After some research it seems none of the FWD manual trans used pilot bearings. Definitely none in the Fiero.

Question on my 28# trailblazer injectors. Does anyone know what connectors are compatible with them from other platforms? I believe this injectors are from a 4.2L Trailblazer, guessing 02-04? Those are hard to come by at Pull-A-Part so I'm hoping something else uses the same connectors.

Comment

My 4t60-e to 284 swap did not require a pilot bearing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                      Originally posted by Jay Leno
                      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

[QUOTE=Kaiju Senso;454499] My boss mentioned it might be why the trans broke.
                        QUOTE]

Looks like FOD to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X