HELP! 2.8 or 3.1 block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! 2.8 or 3.1 block

I bought a short block awhile back that i think was bored .020 over (have not measured yet)for my 91 beretta.I finally got a set of heads ready and unwrapped the short block to find out it does not have the crank sensor hole drilled out in the block.Has any one ever drilled out a block for the sensor? Has the threaded hole beside it.Also could i use the crank shaft from my motor that has the sensor pick up notches on it? PLEASE ANY HELP!
    Attached Files

You'd have a hard time drilling the hole being g square and then keeping the sensor air gap . I assume that crank has no tone ring for the sensor and you wanto use your crank. You'll have to check if that is a small journal crank and if its not you can use yours and have to rebalance the rotating assymbly.
    88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

You could probably use an external crank trigger if you can't drill the block.
      '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Forgot to add that it might be a 2.8l from a early FWD x-body or J-body like the Cadillac Cimarron. You might wanto check if it has a fuel pump hole on the block. If so you need to ditch that engine and sell it. Cheaper to find another aluminum head engine when it's all said and done.
        88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

What side of the block is drilled/tapped for a starter?

~86 and earlier FWD blocks probably didn't have the CPS hole drilled, 87-94 would. If it's a RWD block then 82-92 would all basically be the same and not have the hole drilled. If it's a RWD block it won't work in you application. The mounting bosses are quite different. There isn't much dish to those pistons either, they look like they're for an iron head application.

Here are some more gen 2 FWD block pictures to help..

Last edited by Superdave; 02-07-2013, 11:59 PM.
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Thanks for the replys! I wanted to make sure of the obvious things before measuring crank. (didn't want to take apart yet)Like block does not have fuel pump hole and starter mount is on front side like a fwd.(Thank you for the pics.) The dish in the pistons look the same as my 3.1 out of my car.Also what do you mean the mounting bosses different? For what? Would the external crank sensor work with obd1? THANK YOU GUYS AGAIN! Guess that's why the company i got it from is out of buisness.

Comment

Superdave is refering to the motor mount bosses. Seems like they mixed parts up on that engine. If those are aluminum head pistons then they are using a iron head engine block and assymbly. Crank trigger will work for obd1

Comment

Ok, so you have an early FWD block then. The only way you'll know if it's a 2.8 or 3.1 is to measure the stroke or pull the pan and check the casting numbers on the crank.
                Past Builds;
                Current Project;

Comment

Thanks for pointing out about the dish in the pistons. i unwrapped short block again today and piston are not dished as deep as my 3.1 pistons. so yea i am believing this is a early fwd iron head eng. Do you know what pistons they used in the early fwd. eng. Will the aluminum head valves hit the shallow dished pistons?I will have to check the crank #'s. Would this short block work for a fiero?THANKS SUPER D. AND TURBO G.( Hey that sounds cool).I guess i got an expensive boat anchor.Anybody got a boat?
                  Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                  What side of the block is drilled/tapped for a starter?

~86 and earlier FWD blocks probably didn't have the CPS hole drilled, 87-94 would. If it's a RWD block then 82-92 would all basically be the same and not have the hole drilled. If it's a RWD block it won't work in you application. The mounting bosses are quite different. There isn't much dish to those pistons either, they look like they're for an iron head application.

Here are some more gen 2 FWD block pictures to help..
                  Thanks for pointing out about the dish in the pistons. i unwrapped short block again today and piston are not dished as deep as my 3.1 pistons. so yea i am believing this is a early fwd iron head eng. Do you know what pistons they used in the early fwd. eng. Will the aluminum head valves hit the shallow dished pistons?I will have to check the crank #'s. Would this short block work for a fiero?THANKS SUPER D. AND TURBO G.( Hey that sounds cool).I guess i got an expensive boat anchor.Anybody got a boat?

http://www.sdsgarage.com/60degree/Gen2/atkdca4-4.jpg

Comment

With the stock cam they'll clear but you are going to have some really high compression.

2.8 Iron heads used 0cc flat tops, 3.1's had a 12cc dish. yours look like the 12cc..

If that's the case then;
                    .040" head gaskets (Stock thickness for a Gen 1), 11.88:1
                    .060" head gaskets (Stock thickness for a Gen 2), 11.14:1

You can run that high with good tuning and a stock cam, however i'd go with something a little bigger like a 260 grind from Delta or maybe WOT-Tech can get you a decent custom grind.

It'll have more torque than your current engine and if you can get the tune really dialed in you may get some better gas mileage out of it.

That engine would be ideal for a stock swap into any 86 or older FWD GM as a replacement with iron heads, and it should work as well on a Fiero. The only thing i can't remember is if the Fiero's starter was in the RWD or FWD position. They do run iron heads stock though. There is also some early 90's Lumina Vans that had a FWD Iron head 3.1, that's probably what yours is made for.

If it's fresh and a good quality build, it could be a good candidate for a hybrid using a 3400 top end and a healthy cam. That's a little more work but if you want to go that direction it'll make tons of power.
                    Past Builds;
                    Current Project;

Comment

Fiero uses a FWD starter location. (to the left of the flywheel when looking at the engine from the flywheel end) Larry

Comment

Isuzu 3.1 also has the starter in same location as FWD applications and it is RWD. It also has FWD motor mount pads.

Comment

Originally posted by 23TrackroadsterV6 View Post
                          Isuzu 3.1 also has the starter in same location as FWD applications and it is RWD. It also has FWD motor mount pads.
                          Yes, an it also has the iron head pistons in it, so that may be what you have. I think the Jeep is the same thing. You could just put some aluminum heads on it with a large overlap low LSA cam to make use of the compression and have a really nice little engine. Larry

Comment

A couple of years ago, I bought what was supposed to be a rebuilt S-10 2.8 engine off of Craigslist, but upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a 3.1 from an Isuzu. If I had been going to use it in an S-10 or Camaro, I would have been upset as the starter location and engine mount location would have made it almost impossible to use for that application. But since I intended to put it in a street rod, and the price was "right", 313007_1993223667027_6906902_n.jpg300858_2076237982333_1198825639_n.jpg310810_2076239262365_1839509173_n.jpgit just made it a little more difficult to fab engine mounts.

Comment

I did check crank #'s and they are the same. 881 or 981.3.1 Below is a better pic. of pistons. Also would it be easier to do 3400 swap with the external crank sensor or get machine shop to drill hole for cp sensor. I have a spare 3400 eng. but needs heads gone over.I did kinda want it stock looking.Also fuel economy is not a worry but power is.0210131519.jpg
                              Last edited by jt350; 02-11-2013, 11:34 AM. Reason: picture not uploaded

Comment

Working...
                              X