No announcement yet.

1.5" headers on a 3500...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I might turbo the truck from the get-go now...

Why not, right ?
    11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
    10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Mars View Post
      Well, I might turbo the truck from the get-go now...

Why not, right ?
      I approve this message.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
        I approve this message.
        YES. DOIT
        '86 Grand National

Comment

What are you planning on using for manifolds then? My friend with the S10 says there's enough room to mount these headers facing forwards but that's in a 2wd.
          '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

There is definitely NOT enough space to mount these headers forward in an S-10. The mounts, crossmember, steering and several other items would be in the way.

Comment

The collectors come out above the crossmember and steering stuff. Not sure what else besides accessories they would hit.
              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

good luck with these, i dont know how they match up with a 3500 but on the 3400 motors they tend to rest on the corner of the front head, or right on top of the transmission bell housing when trying to run over to the back of the motor.
                2001 GLS 3400. F40 6 speed.
                sigpic
                Mods: F40 6 speed swap. Pacesetter Headers. Flowmaster Muffler. Cold Air Intake. MMS Engine/Trans Mounts. MMS Stainless Allen Header Bolts. MMS Header Gaskets. MMS PP UIM/LIM. MMS No Cat DP. Prosport Gauges. AEM A/F wideband. 8000K HID's. LED Fog Lights. 18" MSR wheels. Nitto Tires. Lowered. Baer Brakes. SC/T Spoiler. Sparco Racing seats. Harness Bar w/ 4 pt harness. A/C Delete.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepyalero View Post
                  good luck with these, i dont know how they match up with a 3500 but on the 3400 motors they tend to rest on the corner of the front head, or right on top of the transmission bell housing when trying to run over to the back of the motor.
                  Pics? There were no such clearance issues with my friend's Gen II. Cleared the bellhousing and slave cylinder just fine.
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                    Pics? There were no such clearance issues with my friend's Gen II. Cleared the bellhousing and slave cylinder just fine.
                    i cant seem to find any pics now. but i have seen it. i think its really hit or miss with the clearance issues.
                    2001 GLS 3400. F40 6 speed.
                    sigpic
                    Mods: F40 6 speed swap. Pacesetter Headers. Flowmaster Muffler. Cold Air Intake. MMS Engine/Trans Mounts. MMS Stainless Allen Header Bolts. MMS Header Gaskets. MMS PP UIM/LIM. MMS No Cat DP. Prosport Gauges. AEM A/F wideband. 8000K HID's. LED Fog Lights. 18" MSR wheels. Nitto Tires. Lowered. Baer Brakes. SC/T Spoiler. Sparco Racing seats. Harness Bar w/ 4 pt harness. A/C Delete.

Comment

these are RWD headers... the heads aren't front and rear they are left and right... lol
                      11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
                      10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

Ummm, no...

Take a look at the pic in the first post. The collectors will be near the bottom of the block, which is below the upper portion of the crossmember (the part that will be the issue) and the primaries will hit the engine mounts, since the mounts sit very far forward on the block.

I would not buy ANY N/A headers with the idea of turning them around to feed a front mounted turbo, well at least no N/A S-series header.

I built some headers for my S-15 jimmy many years ago and the driver side had a very similar layout, as far as where the collector was, and there was NO way that it would have fit on the passenger side and forward, the collector would have been in the same space or slightly forward of the engine mount, and then pointed very nearly at the steering linkage.

Besides all of that, you don't need to point the headers/manifolds forward in an S-series to install a turbo. I ran the driver side under the trans, as it would have been normally and then up to the passenger side header, and mounted the turbo on the passenger side of the engine bay.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I often wondered if you could run DIS and a FWD set of manifolds up over the back of the motor with a passenger side dump which had an adapter flange for a turbo. It would depend on fire wall clearance of course. But it might work. One nice thing about stock manifolds is they are quiet and last forever.
                          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

1.5" headers on a 3500...

I don't think a FWD crossover would clear most RWD engine bays but there may be a few. Some longitudinal AWD engine bays tend to have some extra room over the transmission though.

IIRC a FWD crossover doesn't exactly hug the block since it has to clear the water neck in a FWD app.
                            '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by geoffinbc View Post
                              I often wondered if you could run DIS and a FWD set of manifolds up over the back of the motor with a passenger side dump which had an adapter flange for a turbo. It would depend on fire wall clearance of course. But it might work. One nice thing about stock manifolds is they are quiet and last forever.
                              In an S-series there isn't enough space between the back of the engine and the firewall to fit a crossover between them.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
                                In an S-series there isn't enough space between the back of the engine and the firewall to fit a crossover between them.
                                Probably not even enough room to use the FWD manifold in it's natural position. I know in the f-body, the t-stat housing neck does not even fit in there.
                                Links:
                                WOT-Tech.com
                                FaceBook
                                Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X