what is so bad about gen ii engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK Thanks!

So, even though they are considered a gen III, they did adapt a DBW throttle and some other minor changes. Not enough to make serious changes though, for example, say the ECM?

I was hoping to perform a 3500 swap in my 1993 Cavalier and still retain my EBL P4 Flash ECM from Bob at Dynamic EFI.

Is that a realistic expectation do you think?

Like the OP, I was originally planning a 3x00 top swap, but looking at the information provided in this thread, it sounds to me like it is not much more costly to go with the whole shebang and just get a lot more power.

Wikipedia said that the 3500 LX9s put out damn near 200hp in stock trim. That seems to be fairly accurate and even a little conservative based on the numbers I read in many sig pics!

Comment

what is so bad about gen ii engines?

The ECM on a 3500 is very different from the 3400 PCM, and they also changed the crank trigger from 7x to 58x (like the 3900). However with an external crank trigger you can run one on your existing ECM.

The ignition coils are also newer like the 3900 style so you have to use an older coil pack with an external crank trigger.
      Last edited by caffeine; 12-30-2013, 12:35 PM.
      '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

OH, Right! I remember reading that somewhere now.. Sorry to be so ignorant, LOL.

Yeah, well, I really want to keep the P4 ECM in it, for boost later when affordable.

Thank you for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by IDCavalier View Post
          OH, Right! I remember reading that somewhere now.. Sorry to be so ignorant, LOL.

Yeah, well, I really want to keep the P4 ECM in it, for boost later when affordable.

Thank you for the info!
          you need an external crank trigger to keep running the P4 EBL.
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

i could have sworn i saw a pic of the 3500 non-vvt and the block was different than the 3400s. and back to the 3900, how different are the heads? i doubt they would work on any older motors, but i like knowing these things for certain. *side thought* imagine a thirdgen with a 3900
            Firebird: The beta version
            sigpic

Comment

imagine... why not see it? http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...8-GT4088-turbo

do some forum searching, there are plenty of threads that discuss the differences between all the generations of engines. Lots of pictures and everything, plenty to show you why gen 4 heads won't work on early blocks.. etc... In the download section you can find the full GM spec sheets for all the bearing sizes, tolerances and fastener tightening specs for the 3100, 3400, 3500 and 3900.
              Past Builds;
              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
              Current Project;
              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

that is crazy.. wow, just wow. i read a thread somewhere recently that said no one has done it, must have been an older thread i guess
                Firebird: The beta version
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                  Building the iron heads for N/A is really pointless if Gen III is an option. They will simply never match up performance wise.

The reasons I see for people using iron heads is typically to
                  - avoid having to do a hybrid swap
                  - keep the stock look
                  - avoid any wiring

When you think about it, the vast majority who use iron heads are using them because that's what their vehicles came with. If you have a front engine, RWD vehicle that came with an iron head engine, a Gen II swap is the same amount of work as a Gen III swap. So why would anyone bother?

You'll probably see more people sticking with the Gen IIs in the cars that they were available in.
                  Admittedly, I did not read past the first page. But I have a Gen-I build - not ultra high-performance or anything, but cam, rockers, bored intake, exhaust, soon to use a MegaSquirt ECU, etc. I have a FWD block in a RWD/4x4 application (Isuzu Troopers had that for some reason). I actually bought an LX9 to install in the Trooper years ago, but found I can't use a Gen-III/IV block because of clearance issues on the bottom end. 4x4s used a steel oil pan and the front axle for the IFS and the steering are just too close. I have a Gen-II engine that I wanted to use in another project because of the steel pan advantage (and I got the Gen-II parts car cheap and I don't want the good running engine to go to waste), again I'd have stick with Gen-I/II because of clearance issues in a RWD application and not being able to modify the Opel transverse-leaf front suspension to clear a Gen-III/IV pan. However I do have a Gen-III top end set that I may install.
                  '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
                  '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
                  '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
                  '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

Working...
                  X