3400 top end swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400 top end swap

After reading several threads about 3400 swaps and whatnot I have a question.

Is there a significance in the 3400 block and lower end that makes it better than the 3100 that is already in my car. Or will the top end swap net just as much gain as swapping the whole motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blocks are fairly equal... benefit of a full 3400 is typically a newer engine overall and less mileage... More revisions were also done bearing and seal wise to the newest 3400's so if your doing a complete swap you end up with a slightly better setup regarding those items. As far as the top end only yeah you will net close to the same HP gain's but then again it's all dependent on the tuning you do to compliment the top swap.

Also depending on year I think all small port 3100's did not have piston skirt coating on cylinders 5 and 6 but that's not a big deal, OR a deal breaker by any means... just another one of those small changes you see.

Got Lope?
    3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
    Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
    Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Your 2003 3100 will see no benefit from a 3400 top swap... for all intents and purposes the only difference between your engine and a 3400 is the bore measurement. You cannot do the 3500 top swap because the 3500 heads won't work with the 3100 bore (too small). The only part you could do for an upgrade would be the 3500 upper manifold, but then you have to monkey around with mods for the throttle body, fuel rail, etc...

3500 Plenum
      Last edited by carbon; 03-10-2014, 03:30 PM.
      sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
      - Ben

Comment

Didn't know he had an 03 3100... That would have greatly changed my answer... LOL

Got Lope?
        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Are you planning to build a motor?
          If so,i've got a complete low mileage 3500 disassembled in a crate. From lower intake to oil pan,though heads are bare (no valves/springs).
          I just threw the block in back of truck today with some other stuff for scrap so if you're interested let me know.
          It is a non VVT LX9 out of a Pontiac montana,was gonna build for a fiero but have a couple complete L67's so going that way with them.

Comment

So basically it's full 3400/3500 swap or pointless?

Eddie there is a full 3500 on CL for $550 unless that was yours.

Think I'm just gonna live with the 3100 for now unless I stumble across a full 3400.

Comment

I actually just found a 3400 from a 2000 grand am. Same price as the 3100 I was going to buy. Thinking I'm gonna go that route. Now just gotta research that swap.

Comment

2000+ 3100 uses the same top end as the 3400 (basically depending on the source there could be some insignificant differences between 3100 and 3400 of the same year). So in a case like this swapping the top end between a 200+ 3100 and 3400 will net a zero gain, stock for stock.

In a case like this I'm not even sure a 3400 swap would net any noticeable gains in power. Don't get me wrong, there would be an improvement, but not a huge one.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2014, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Damn this car. Lol.

So......... Cam, p&p, intake, exhaust.

Does anyone know if the 3500 exhaust manifolds will bolt to the 3100?

Comment

Yes they do... the question is does the front manifold clear everything and do you have enough room to route the exhaust pipe...
                    Last edited by carbon; 03-11-2014, 08:35 AM.
                    sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
                    - Ben

Comment

My thoughts exactly. I was thinking about getting the OBX headers for the 3500 and doing whatever needed to make them fit. But I don't TIG weld yet and I have a hat time with the idea of hacking up $400

Comment

Other than doing the f23 swap I'm really getting discouraged about doing anything performance wise. No emissions around here. Prolly just get a cam and do intake and exhaust. Maybe port and polish a set of factory manifolds just for practice doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaos View Post
                          My thoughts exactly. I was thinking about getting the OBX headers for the 3500 and doing whatever needed to make them fit. But I don't TIG weld yet and I have a hat time with the idea of hacking up $400

Try hacking up $550 worth of header back in 2006 to just get SOMETHING to fit my Beretta...

Pretty...

CHOP CHOP!

Essentially what I had to accomplish from N-body headers to what I need.

After many years of abuse they finally got the treatment they deserved...

Real Ceramic Coating.

Also no one said a 3500 swap is pointless.... It may take a bit more work on your setup, like external crank trigger and designing a rear trans bracket or tail shaft bracket since you are planning a F23 swap... but in the end the 3500 will perform better. Also a 3400 with a 3500 top end will perform better than a stock 3100 would.

You just need to decide what you want to do, but a 3400 for a large port 3100 is almost an equal swap and would retain all the same external/internal sensors.

I have emissions in CT and listen to my lope video... That car still gets through emissions fine because it's OBDII... so think of what you could do with NO emissions... and it's actually EASIER for me to pass since I can disable everything in the ECU to display it all as systems ready and they don't sniff the exhaust. I would probably need two cat's to pass if they did that, Of course I would make them removable for a single cat when I actually use the car
                          Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 03-11-2014, 09:35 AM.

Got Lope?

Comment

I'm not gonna mess with a 3500 swap. Just gonna port and polish everything. Cam it. Do intake and exhaust and get it tuned.

All that with the f23 should make for a fun to drive DD/kid hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Working...
                            X