3500 head hole conundrum..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3500 head hole conundrum..

In the end of a 3400 head there are 3 bolt holes on one end, and 4 on the other.

On the 3500 head there are the 4 bolt holes on the same end (as the 3400), but on the other end there are only 2 bolt holes.

What I am wondering is if anyone has drilled the third hole in a 3500 head, and if so, is there enough material in the head to not break into the water jacket?

I took a close look at one of my spare 3500 heads and it looks like this area is just solid aluminium. In comparing it to a 3400 head I have kicking around, it looks as though the 3400 head has some extra material in the water port to allow for a thick material area around the bolt.

I'm comfortable drilling this third bolt hole, I just won't make it as deep as it is in the 3400 head.

Comment

Wondering why those holes were limited from factory? They musta known these motors would find there way in a rwd application and wanted to boss block us LoL
      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

I doubt GM ever thought about RWD swaps where the gen2/3 660 were concerned, they like to push V8s for that.

I don't think I've seen this particular hole used in an OEM application, which is likely why GM eliminated it on the 3500. This hole wouldn't be a RWD specific thing anyway, it's just a bracket that I'm recycling from my Franken60 swap has that 3rd hole and would feel better in having it there, even though it really isn't needed.

Comment

Even if it broke in the water jacket, you would just need thread sealer like the iron head water pumps did. if you like, I can link you to my photobucket albums that shows how I did my f-body iron head brackets.
          Links:
          WOT-Tech.com
          FaceBook
          Instagram

Comment

Oh I know I could just use sealant, I would just prefer to not need it.

Comment

Working...
            X