2.8 / 3100 hybride questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 / 3100 hybride questions

So i have a been working on a 1985 2.8 which i want to put in my fiero. I was planning to mate the stock fiero bottom end with a 2000+ 3100 top end from a buick century or other w-body but there are some things i was wondering about.

I was think of switching over to obd 2 so that the engine wouldnt require a distributer but that would mean having a crank sensor.

How is it usually done?

Why wouldn't you just swap the whole motor? Probably a lot easier than a hybrid, since this is a Fiero.
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

The reason is because i have already done some work on the engine. Its been cleaned, painted and oversized.

Comment

For OBDII, you will need two crank sensors. It's probably easiest to swap to a FWD TC cover, run a 3x00 harmonic dampener, and BCC external crank trigger like people use for 3500 swaps
        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

The only 'RWD' cover that has the mount for the 24x sensor is the 3.4 cover. It would be possible to run that and a 3.4 dampener for the 24x sensor but it only comes in a CCW water pump style so the stock 2.8 accessories would have to be re-worked to accommodate that.
          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

What do TC and BCC stand for?

Comment

So bcc syands for british car conversion i saw the kit online and its quite pricey, is it possible to keep the distributer but still have the newer top end

Comment

The distributor won't clear the aluminum head intake. TC stands for timing chain.
                '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

I've made a trigger/mount before. It's not terribly difficult and can be done really cheap if you wanted to give it a try instead. There are a few write-ups on line.
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Ok ill look into it

Comment

Thanks for helping

Comment

You don't need to go OBD2 to use DIS.

DIS originated with OBD1, in GM vehicles equipped with the 660, that would have been in 1987, in the J-body, and A-body. To use OBD1 with DIS, ignoring the ECM for now, you only need a single crank sensor. This is a "7x" trigger wheel, some people will call it a "6+1 notch" trigger wheel, since there are 6 equally spaced notches, plus one to create a home trigger, which is based on timing difference between it and the notch next to it.

Look into the ECM used in the J-body, L-body, W-body, A-body used between 1987 and 1992 (in 1992 to 1994 the OBD1 was still used but was being phased out at the time and can be confusing to mention or look at to know that you are getting the correct ECM).

I do agree that it makes more sense to use a full gen3 660 in a Fiero, because they are both transverse and saves swapping pistons and such into the Fiero block. But if you really want to use the Fiero block, then you will need to make or get a crank trigger. There's only one supplier currently that I'm aware of, but people have made their own as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X