3900 rwd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3900 rwd

Hey, new to the forum. I'm putting together a chevette with lz9, I plan on doing the early cam swap. So my question is...I have a forth gen camaro parts car, can I use the water pump, balancer and all that jazz?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trash boat; 10-28-2015, 10:19 AM.

yes, you can swap the rwd parts onto the 3900 block. you will need to figure out a solution for the coolant routing out of the heads but thats not hard at all.

Comment

Okay cool, the other problem I have is the clutch... I'm gonna go with the Ford t5 and the 4 cylinder s10 bell. Is there a reasonably priced clutch that will work? Centerforce has a 9 1/8 clutch 10 spline...but will it take the power?

Comment

If you're gonna use a T5, why not use a V6/I4 T5 and have a clutch that won't need to be custom or cobbled together with swapped parts?

Comment

I have a couple fox body t5's.

Comment

I remember seeing a mg with that set up

Comment

Free Shipping - Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Kits with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Clutch Kits at Summit Racing.

Comment

Has anyone used centerforce?

Comment

that clutch should hold the 250 lb ft of tq the 3900 produces.

I would think centerforce makes a higher performance clutch than that though in the spline you need for the trans you are using do they not?

spec clutches makes something for your application I am sure so you can check them out as well. they offer tq ratings on their website of what they should hold tq wise

Comment

I just realized the Ford is 1 1/16 input not 1 1/8...lol. so bigcheese, you don't live in Canada do you? How many of those spacers you got left?

Comment

While yes, it's possible to use a Ford T5, it would be easier to use a V6/I4 T5 from a GM application so that an off the shelf clutch can be used without swapping the clutch disc, or drilling the flywheel for a different pressure plate.

Keep in mind while you read this, I'm using a Nissan trans behind my LX9, because I hate the T5, and have had to use an adapter plate and will be swapping to a different bellhousing (on the same model trans) which requires a drilled flywheel to use a clutch that will actually hold in my application. So that's why I'm suggesting to use something that will literally bolt together, it can be a hassle to get non matched parts to fit sometimes. Since you want to use a T5 anyway, it makes the most sense to use one that will just fit without messing around. If you wanted to go to a better trans, then by all means I would say that would be worth while to mess with the clutch.

I've used a couple Center force clutches, both Dual friction models. One was behind my Franken60, a Turbo hybrid multi-generational 60 degree V6 that I had in my 1985 GMC Jimmy, and another for my Datsun, that was originally installed behind my turbo L28 (inline 2.8L 6 cylinder) and then used behind my turbo LX9 because I could make it work. I will be swapping to an ACT I have on the shelf with that new trans I mentioned earlier, because I'm well beyond the power holding capabilities of the CF DF, and plan to make more in the not so distant future.

Comment

T5 isn't my favorite trans, but it project is for my daughter...it's gonna be her first car. I kinda want to keep it a low buck hotrod...keep it fun not pricey and the 5.0l t5 has a decent low gear the other ones are like 3.5-4 to 1.

Comment

Originally posted by trash boat View Post
                          I just realized the Ford is 1 1/16 input not 1 1/8...lol. so bigcheese, you don't live in Canada do you? How many of those spacers you got left?

no don't live in canada but will ship to canada if you want a set. I sent you a private message.

I assume you can use the clutch from a ford t5 to match the input spline and the pressure plate for the 60 degree flywheel? I am assuming the factory chevette trans is garbage.

what about finding a trans from a 93-95 camaro? I am sure the starter boss is on the wrong side, but a bellhousing from a s10 will work? or maybe use the whole trans from an s10?

Comment

I don't have the chevette yet, my daughter and I are gonna start with the drive train. From what I've read...the 4 cylinder s10 is the only bell housing that will bolt up with the starter on the left side but the bolt pattern on the trans won't work with the Chevy t5, but the Ford will. Funny enough the factory chevette t5 has the same Ford style bolt pattern but 5 speed chevette's are hard to find so I'm not counting on it

Comment

The other problem is mustangs are 10.5 clutch which won't fit on the 60v6 flywheel. But I found a center force 9 inch for 4 cylinder mustangs, I think combined with the 60v6 cf pressure plate...should work, I'm loosing an 1/8 of clutch disc but should be okay

Comment

Working...
                              X