Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen3 3400+4T60e+ecu in Fiero

Hello all!

I posted this in General discussion a week ago and received no replies so I try here also.

I own a low mileage Fiero -88 automatic. Due to turbo conversion about 15 years ago the gearbox is no more...
    So I am planning to put a 4T60 ( or 65) e in it, and then I thought why not take the whole drive package from a gen3 car (Probably a Trans Sport). That way I can get the hp up also and have a good base for further upgrades.

What I am thinking is to take Engine+gearbox+ECU+wiring and fit it in to the Fiero.

So... two questions.

1) Apart from rerouting of gear shift cables, fuel line, coolant hoses and so on. Is there any other major problems I might run in to such as electronics, drive shafts etc? (guess drive shafts needs to be modified?)
    2) I can find a low milage Alero -99 motor at a good price but hp on that one is 170. The Trans Sport motor it is 187hp but I cant find a low milage Trans Sport at an acceptable price here in Sweden.
    I have tried to find out what the difference is in specs between the two but had no luck with that. Anyone knows? Good to know if a upgrade from 170 to 187 is a easy fix?

I would appreciate som help on this.

Jorgen

My understanding is that HP differences among the various cars powered by the 3400 is largely due to the exhaust. N-bodies are the most restrictive. Those that have single outlet mufflers make 170, while those with dual outlets (Grand Am GT) get 175. The W-body Impalas and Monte Carlos run 180 hp. The vans and crossovers have the least restrictive exhaust, and put out the full 185 hp. Headers and less complex, larger piping that's typically used in Fiero 3400 swaps should eliminate the exhaust-related power reduction.
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Thank you very much for your relpy.... Headers...build them I will.

// Jorgen

Comment

any updates here?
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

So far just planning. A few cars to finish first. June July I will get going with this.

Comment

Working...
          X