I got a freebie :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a freebie :)

My buddy totaled his 90 Camaro, so I got a free V6 and 700r4 I'm a seasoned mechanic, engine builder, and grease monkey so I can't wait to dig into it.

I plan on stuffing it in something weird, so forgive my newbie questions. I've read many threads and searched some, so forgive me if these are repeats but I didn't find my direct answer.

-This one has the 2.8 looking intake, but on the Family Tree, it said the F-bodies got the 3.1 in 90. The emissions sticker was gone as was the center console that had the RPO sticker on it.

-Does the 700r4 differ only in bellhousing from its V8 cousin? Front pump the same? Input shaft the same? TC the same? Guts the same?

-any truth the the weak crank issues rumor?

Hopefully I'll give it a little boost from a turbo, drop it in a VW bus or something and surprise everyone with my ability to keep up with traffic

It is the 3.1L if it has not been swapped.

Yea the trans is the same but the guts are not. V8's has more clutches for more holding power

No weak crank after larger journals were added in mid 80's.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

the tranny is a small bellhousing 700r4. they are pretty much the same tranny as the 4.3l v6 and v8. there are less clutches in the packs, and some stuff is lightened up a bit.

Comment

see if you can swap it out with someone for a mid 80's 700R4 out of a 6.2 diesel Silverado if you want the strongest variant. That's what my truck had, and I swapped the cracked motor for a race-built 383 engine, and it held wonderfully.
        sigpic

Comment

actualy, the diesel versiopn of the 700r4 is the same internaly as the v8 gas motors. all that is different is the govoner and torque converter. besides, you cant put a v8 700r4 behind a v6, except for the 4.3l.

if you want a strong 700r4 for a 60 degree v6, get a v8 core and build it with those parts, some red eagle frictions and band, shift kit, high stall converter, corvette servo. my shop built one a while back that was behind a 600hp 383 stroker, and it holds up quite well.

Comment

Well, I'm not going to be pushing any serious power. Maybe 250 hp or so. I might upgrade the guts, but I can't imagine making enough torque to kill it.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou
              It is the 3.1L if it has not been swapped.
              We're pretty certain it hasn't been swapped. So the 3.1 in 90 had the 2.8 style "double X" intake plenum? Just confirming. I had a 91 Beretta with the 3.1 and it was the "missouri" shaped plenum.

I think I'll start tearing it down tomorrow and see what it needs. It does have 170k on it, but it didn't smoke and seemed pretty tight. I'll mic the crank and see how it looks.

One last question... is there a good FAQ where I can put together a list of junkyard parts to look for? I already know I want Gen 2 or 3 heads, but maybe a good list of which of the many intakes worked well, distributor differences, etc. Thanks.

Comment

the fwd motors are a lot different. they are aluminum head 3.1l. the rwd got the ironheads on all motors. so yea, its gonna be a 3.1l

Comment

Great, thanks. By the way, I love that Z. Nice stance, good ground effects, nice monochrome. That was always one of my favorite looking cars.

Comment

Working...
                  X